[il-talk] Braille packaging

Starry Sky Starry_sky at live.com
Mon Jun 3 15:17:51 UTC 2019

In reference to the Tips and Tricks to identifying those little bottles of shampoo - I recently traveled to Brazil and China and was thrilled to find that those little bottles had Braille printed on them.  In Rio, it also seems that anything with an active ingredient (toothpaste, medication, cough drops, etc.) also had Braille on the packaging so wandering around the drug store was such an experience!  So why doesn't the USA do it?  It seems that there is something here in the books but the legislation made it optional where other countries have made it mandatory.  These same companies have demonstrated the capability for Braille packaging in other countries but will not apply them in the USA so almost three decades after the ADA was passed, people with disabilities/limitations in the USA are still looking for work-arounds.  I wonder if that is why it was so hard to get that Brazilian visa - were they afraid that I would not leave?