[IL-Talk] At Large chapter minutes-May 2019

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 13:12:45 UTC 2019

Nfbi At Large Chapter Minutes

May  5, 2019

Those present included Linda Hendell, Debbie Pittman, Denise Avant, Bill Reif, Yvonne, Jemal Powell, Danny Mandrell, Marilyn Green, Charlene Elder.

The meeting began at 7:12 PM.

The minutes for the April meeting were read. The motion to approve was made by Debbie Pittman. Linda Hendell seconded the motion. The motion was approved.  We heard Presidential Release 483. This was May 2.  There are only a few rooms left with about 90 per cent taken. You can save by registering in advance by May 31. After that time you will have to pay more and register at convention. We were encouraged to look out for first timers at convention. The deadline is May 31 for the Blindness Internship Program for potential teachers of blind children. If interested in teaching in the blindness field, contact programs and services of nfb.org. Look for blindness  internship teaching internship. Send email to alewisatnfb.org.

Congress is back in session. We need to be aggessively seeking co-sponsors for all of our legisltion. We picked up 4 co-sponsors for 2086 Hr. Access Affordability Act.

We are doing investigations on accessibility of Irs forms and website. If you have requested or would like alternative formats, successful or not, we would like to know about your experiences. Contact Valerie Yingling vyinglingatnfb.org. Extension 2440 4106599314.

We are thinking about how to share ideas among chapters related to new member recruiting and how we share techniques for growing leadership at the local level. We will be having focus groups on this topic at convention. Chapter presidents have a listserv at nfbddnet to share these ideas.

Chapters participating in the Pre-authorized Contribution Program Pennslvania, Capitol lehigh chapter, greater philadephia and Keystone Chapters.  Rhode Island Greater Providence chapter. South Carolina Andedson chapter, belvidere chaqter chesterfield, clarident and florence chapter, grand strand chapter, senior division and upper dorchester chapter. If your chapter is not mentioned, sign up during convention.
New members of dream makers circle, Ron and Pam Gardner, Utah,

Family Notes: People who are no longer with us: April 4, 2019 James Moynahan, Missouri Richard Grove, Maryland, died on April 14. Paul Dressel of Ohio, April 22 at the age of 81. Was a second generation Federationist. Mike Kelly passed away, treasurer of sacramento river city chapter. Vendrick Killy passed away March 29 at 35. Mobile Chapter was his area. Tameka Williams was his fiancee.

A week ago, April 25, a tornado hit Ruston, Louisiana and it damaged homes of the staff and some people who lived in Ruston. None of our Federationists were physically harmed, though there was a lot of damage. We are óllecting donations and contributions can be sent to:  to Ruston Recovery Effort. Everyone is greatful for the tremendous amount of love and support received by Louisiana Federationists. Our Louisiana Center and the student apartments were not damaged.

Construction is continuing at the national office. The Scholarship Committee was at national office. Bolotin committee also met.

Denise gave the State Report. Registration is open until May 31 for the national convention conventionddnfb.org. Registration is $25 and the banquet tickets are $70.00. The agenda is not out yet. More information is at nfb.orgstconvention rates are $99.00 per night. This is for single, doubles, tripples and quads. We will have a social gathering on July 7 fee will be $10.00 per person from 9:00 PM to 11:00 PM. Denise has Jernigan Fund tickets available. They are $10.00 each. Winner gets trip for 2 to convention next year plus $1,000.00. Chapter will receive $500.00. The schedule will be coming out in early June. Download the schedule to prepare for which meetings you want to attend.

Bell Programs: Springfield June 9-14 and second one is two weeks at July 29-August 9 at the Chicago Liouthouse. Contact Amy Lund if you want to volunteer or if you know potenttial students for the program. The face-to-face board meeting will be   at the national center. We will have a retreat covering various  topics on the 17th. We will have our face-to-face meeting on Saturday so that phone calls can be made.

State convention dates are October 18-20 Wyndham Hotel, Springfield, $99.00 per night. You can start booking your room now. Many people are coming down October  17th. If you are seeking financial assistance, App must be to Denise by September 1, nfbofillinois.org

Senator Duckworth has co-spoqored the transformation of employment act as well as access technology affordability act. Please write her a letter thanking her.
We need to make appointments to have legislation agenda items brought forward to meeting with congressional offices.

Our program is: Blind Parents Podcast Go to  Blind parent.org and the brochure for social workers, nurses, etc. There is a program to educate professionals about blind parenting skills. The podcast was called The Blind Parent Connection podcast.

There was no old business. There was no new business. Our next meeting will be on June 2, 2019. There may not be a presidential release. 7:00 PM. 605-313-4819 access 6324. Debbie moved to adjourn and Linda seconded the motion. Motion was approved. The meeting was adjourned at 8:37 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Charlene Elder,
secretary-Treasurer