[IL-Talk] President Riccobono' s Notebook

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:31:24 UTC 2020

Hello all,

The following items are taken from President Riccobono' s Notebook.

"As I am sure you are aware, March 1 is the opening for our 2020 National
Convention online registration (The link, once it is live, will be
nfb.org/registration <https://www.nfb.org/registration> .) Please be sure to
spread the word and help make this our best-attended convention ever. Come
on, even Louisiana is cheering for this to be our biggest convention
ever-even if they think Houston cannot top New Orleans! I am really excited
for this year's convention, and I continue to welcome your ideas for
speakers and program items."

"Hey look, we get one extra day this year to spread the love and positive
message of the National Federation of the Blind, and it is a good month to
do so. You will find below a collection of links to a number of outstanding
pieces featuring Federation members who share the additional common
characteristic of being black. These folks are great friends and mentors of
mine, and I am so pleased that they have spread our message through their
stories. You should share these far and wide to promote the diversity we
want in our movement. As Ever Lee says, let's grow and go!

Federationists Featured in #DisabilityRightsInBlack Series:

The National Disability Rights Network is recognizing remarkable
contributions of past and present black disability rights advocates and
attorneys by presenting a different profile each day in February. We are
proud of the following National Federation of the Blind leaders to be
featured and hope you watch their brief videos of their stories: Anil Lewis
<https://www.ndrn.org/resource/drib2020-anil-lewis/> , executive director of
Blindness Initiatives; Ever Lee Hairston
<https://www.ndrn.org/resource/drib2020-ever-lee-hairston/> , member of the
NFB Board of Directors and 2019 Jacobus tenBroek Award winner; Sam Gleese
<https://www.ndrn.org/resource/drib2020-sam-gleese/> , 2014 Jacobus tenBroek
Award winner, past affiliate president, and past member of the NFB Board of
Directors.

Nation's Blind Podcast: Celebrating Black History:

The newest episode of the Nation's Blind Podcast celebrates Black History
Month with a contemporary discussion with Denise Avant, Ron Brown, and Shawn
Callaway, all affiliate presidents and members of the NFB Board of
Directors. They talk about the intersectionality of being African-American
and blind. Listen to the
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast>
Nation's Blind Podcast."

Also featured in the Notebook:

Take the Braille Monitor Survey:

The Braille Monitor is our flagship publication and contains critical
content as we continue to build the Federation. It reflects many of our
traditions, but it also must evolve enough to clearly be relevant in this
decade and those to come. Please help us by telling us what you want, what
you need, and what you will read. Please complete the quick, five-minute
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BrailleMonitor> Braille Monitor survey. Your
participation is greatly appreciated.

#ReadAcrossAmerica #WithBraille:

National Read Across America Day is Monday, March 2. Although we promote the
importance of Braille literacy year-round, let's make sure our voices are
included on this national day. The goal of Read Across America is to help
motivate kids to read, bring the joys of reading to students of all ages,
and make all children feel valued and welcome. This must include blind and
low-vision children. Let's promote reading with Braille by sharing videos of
children reading Braille or posting about the importance of Braille on
Monday, March 2, on social media platforms and use the hashtags
#ReadAcrossAmerica #WithBraille.

Denise R. Avant, Esq.

President,

773-991-8050