[IL-Talk] FW: Justice Department Moves to Intervene in Disability Discrimination Suit Against City of Chicago Regarding Pedestrians with Visual Disabilities - U.S. DOJ - April 8, 2021

Kelly Pierce kellytalk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 00:37:09 UTC 2021

The private plaintiffs are Ray Campbell, Maureen Heneghan, and Ann
Brash, all ACB members. Ray is not a Chicago resident. The lawsuit was
started when the City of Chicago was unwilling to commit to providing
audible traffic signals to the extent San Francisco agreed to in a
private settlement. The government’s intervention seems to indicate it
will use the case to set a nationwide standard for the installation of
audible pedestrian signals in municipalities across America. It looks
like the Justice Department has fully absorbed the ACB philosophy and
its members diminished confidence in travel skills from the low
quality training the organization and its members endorse. The lawsuit
states some of the problems blind people face from a lack of audible
pedestrian signals are quote “Added delays and expenses not
experienced by sighted pedestrians, because individuals who are blind
may forgo travel by foot to avoid the danger of crossing signalized
intersections without APSs, and use a hired ride service for even
short distances..” end quote In other words, the government accepts
the notion from ACB members that blind people regularly and
consistently need to call a Uber to walk a couple of blocks and cross
a street.

Another issue the government says is brought on by the lack of
pedestrian signals is quote “Increased anxiety, frustration, and
embarrassment, and decreased independence, when attempting to navigate
the city’s signalized intersections.” End quote In other words, the
Biden Justice Department says blind people who do not cross streets
with audible signals are embarrassed to be blind. Further, the Justice
Department claims the increased anxiety brought on by poor travel
skills will magically go away with audible pedestrian signals. I am
not so sure APS will be the magic cure for the lack of blind
independence that ACB claims them to be and has convinced the federal
government of their belief.

The entire filing can be read in accessible format at:

https://www.ada.gov/acbmc/acbmc_motion.html