[IL-Talk] Fwd: Mar. 14, 2021 IABS Minutes

ellen bartelt embartelt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 10:07:42 UTC 2021

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Glenn III <gmoore3rd at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 21:45:29 -0500
Subject: Mar. 14, 2021 IABS Minutes
To: Ellen Bartelt <embartelt at gmail.com>
Cc: Marilyn Green <president at nfbofillinois.org>

Hi Ellen,
pasted directly below are the minutes from March:

ILLINOIS ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS
MARCH 14, 2021, 7:15PM MINUTES

Board Present:
Ellen Bartelt, President
Sara Luna, first VP
Natalio Abar, second VP
Glenn Moore, Treasurer

guests:
Marilyn Green

Luna can send the zoom conference link to our text message group
Moore will call Ayoub to work out how he can get into meetings
Green reiterates that the meeting can be held without a quorum if no vote
is needed.

Bartelt: at _ had California meeting end near of February--it included
improv.
Scholarship applications are due March 31; State due midnight central time,
national due atlantic time. I'll send an email with IABS committees and
dates.
Public Speaking Seminar is March 19th. Social night at 7. Saturday is
programming. Registration closed March 1st, lots of door prizes, speeches
will include topic of being our authentic selves.

Luna: No keynote, but Elisabeth Rouse will lead much of the content.
once scholarship closes, we'll do another outreach call in April or May.

State Report (Green):
Scholarship apps are open. If you know undergrad, grad, or PhD. students
legally blind both eyes, encourage to apply to both. note time zones for
deadlines. for National, the applicant has to inverview with me and to get
state pres. letter.
BELL In home Edition will be 3 sessions, June, July and August (website has
exact dates and it is posted to IL-Talk and Iabs-talk).
Luna: June 7-18, last 2 weeks of July, and Aug. 9-20.
Green: let any parents of blind kids in your contacts know they can now
register. Ages 6-12/13 can enroll. Kids get box of activities. Stein is
looking for blind mentors. Some here tonight are, and if you know others in
affilliate, ask them to consider mentoring. That entails checking in with
families, answer questions. You don't have to mentor for all 3 sessions.
Stein is coordinator, ask her for questions.
Washington Seminar was great success, thanks to those attending and leads.
Ellen and Natalio were part of team. 6 cosponsors for access tech (hr 431);
Bobby Rush, Schneider, Underwood, Bost, Davis, and Krishnamorthi. if you or
someone you know lives in one of their (or any legislator's) district,
email or call to let congress know what cosponsoring and our legislative
items mean to you. Please CC federa legislative co-chairs Denise Avant and
Dustin Cather--who also can provide you contacts for your representative.
National Convention registration opened March 1. NFB national website is
down momentarily. Convention will be virtual, July 6 through 10. President
Ricobono is seeking ideas. If you'd like to speak at convention, email
officeofthepresident at nfb.org
NFBI State Convention is the weekend of Oct 22. We're still surveying if
in-person, virtual or hybrid (Venue also pending). We want suggestions for
a theme and programming.

Luna, Natalio and Green: for scholarship, you need one recommendation
letter, proof of blindness, an essay, and transcripts, plus interview with
state president (Marilyn Green) for national scholarship. Seek additional
details from Debbie Stein for State, and Green for national.

Moore moves to adjourn.
Natalio seconds.
Motion Carries.
Next Meeting, April 11th, 7PM via Zoom.