[IL-Talk] FW: News about the 2021 Holman Prize

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sun Feb 21 19:18:31 UTC 2021

I'm passing along this message from the San Francisco Lighthouse. If you
dream of working on a project that could benefit the blind community here or
somewhere else in the world, this is a great opportunity. Please spread the
word, as the application deadline is approaching fast!

Debbie

As you likely know, we've opened applications for the 2021 Holman Prize.
It's an exciting year, and we want to get the word out that despite the
pandemic, the Lighthouse will continue awarding the Holman Prize this year.
We'll just have some extra flexibility about dates and timing to accommodate
the understandable challenges that COVID-19 presents.

In 2020 we had unprecedented diversity among applicants, representing 22
nations on six continents. We want to continue that geographic, racial and
gender diversity. Which is, in part, why I'm writing to you today.

This year the Holman Prize applications will close on March 14, and we'd
like to ask for your assistance now in sharing word about the Prize to your
personal networks in all the ways, from email to Twitter, and everything in
between.  You should feel free to share the link, below, to those who really
should know about the Prize.

holmanprize.org <https://holman.lighthouse-sf.org/>

Again, thanks for spreading the word to your friends and blindness
communities.  With every new applicant I feel the same rush of optimism and
enthusiasm as we did with our first Prize in 2017.

Warm regards,

Bryan

Here is some text that you can cut and paste to send to prospective Holman
Prize applicants:

Now in its fifth year, the Holman Prize for Blind Ambition
<https://holman.lighthouse-sf.org/>  annually awards up to $25,000 to blind
people from around the world with incredible ideas that will shatter
misconceptions about blindness worldwide. The Holman Prize is named for
James Holman, a blind 19
<https://holman.lighthouse-sf.org/who-is-james-holman/> th century explorer
who is the most prolific private traveler of anyone, blind or sighted,
before the era of modern transportation.

The only qualifications for the Holman Prize are that you must be blind or
legally blind and that you must be 18 years old by October 1, 2021 when your
Holman Prize year begins.

To apply you will upload a 90-second pitch to YouTube and fill out an
application. To check out some great video pitches, watch our 2020 Holman
Prize Finalists Playlist
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U43xqY4_JGk&list=PLBgTkRMP5uazmdIST_cKOG4BX
GNXjQJP1> .

Check out our Holman Prize frequently asked questions
<https://holman.lighthouse-sf.org/faq/> .

When you're ready, apply for the 2021 Holman Prize
<https://holman.lighthouse-sf.org/apply/>  by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on March
14.

If you have further questions, you can email the Holman Prize Team at
holman at lighthouse-sf.org <mailto:holman at lighthouse-sf.org> .

1155 Market Street, 10th Floor SF 94103

Visit us online:

 <https://lighthouse-sf.org/> Website |  <https://holman.lighthouse-sf.org/>
Holman |  <https://www.facebook.com/lighthousesf/> Facebook |
<https://twitter.com/lighthouse_sf> Twitter |
<https://www.youtube.com/user/LFTBSF> YouTube |
<https://www.instagram.com/lighthouseblind/> Instagram

Are you someone who is blind or has low vision and have a fantastic idea you
can't wait to bring to the world? Don't miss this chance and apply now for
the Holman Prize for Blind Ambition: http://holmanprize.org/apply