[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of 03/03/2022

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Sat Mar 5 14:14:17 UTC 2022

News:
2022 National Convention Registration Is Open:

The 2022 National Federation of the Blind National Convention
registration is now open until May 31, 2022. Registration is $25 per
person. Banquet tickets
for Sunday, July 10, are $70 per person. Please review our
2022 National Convention Safety Protocols
and the
National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct
prior to registering.
Register online now!
 Details regarding convention can be found at nfb.org/convention.
Also, check out the latest Braille Monitor article, “
New Orleans: Site of 2022 Convention” by John Berggren.

Access Technology Affordability Act:

Great news! Yesterday eight new cosponsors were added to the Access
Technology Affordability Act in the House and one in the Senate. We
are now up to 145
cosponsors on H.R. 431, and 36 cosponsors on S. 212. This is the
largest number of cosponsors we have ever had on the Access Technology
Affordability Act
in both chambers of Congress. Let’s keep up the momentum!

Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium:

Registration is now open
 for the 2022 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium. Join
nationally renowned disability rights advocates at the United States’
leading disability
law symposium, held virtually this year March 24–March 25, 2022, as we
examine the right of people with disabilities to live in in a world of
pandemics,
political polarization, and natural disasters. Registration is $100,
and student registration is $25. Visit the
law symposium webpage
 for additional information about the symposium.

Scholarship Program Deadline Approaching in March:

The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind
college students reach their educational and employment goals and so
much more. Building
on its strong foundation, we are enhancing the awards granted and
making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful
for the thirty finalists.
Each scholarship winner will receive $8,000. Encourage students to
apply for the 2022 scholarship program.
The deadline is March 31.

Apply for 2022 Bolotin Awards:

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of
individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of
blind people and
help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must include a
letter of recommendation.
Learn more and submit a nomination for the 2022 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards.

March Braille Monitor Available:

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about the site of the 2022 National
Convention, technology
and ableism, immersion training, the purpose of discussion in the
publication, and many stories from members.
Access the Braille Monitor now.

Career Opportunities:

The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals
to join our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of
interest including
Braille production; diversity, equity, and inclusion; digital
communications; fiscal services; and membership. We encourage
candidates seeking to join
our movement to submit a general interest cover letter and résumé to
us expressing the types of positions being sought. Learn more and
share the opportunities:

https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities

Attend 2022 NFB BELL® Academy: Applications Now Open!:

We are offering in-person and in-home opportunities! Our in-person
programs across the nation and our NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition
will help prepare
blind and low-vision children to grow into confident and independent
blind people.

The current in-person program cities include Littleton, Colorado;
Rathdrum, Idaho; Chicago, Illinois; Springfield, Illinois; Ruston,
Louisiana; St. Louis,
Missouri; Kansas City, Missouri; Perth Amboy, New Jersey; Phoenix,
Arizona; Tucson, Arizona; and Baltimore, Maryland.  More in-person
programs coming soon!

The NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition program will take place July
18-August 5, 2022. Students and families will receive Braille and
other fun materials
for lessons, connect with experienced teachers, and build
relationships with other blind students and mentors. Please pass this
link along to those that
would like to apply:
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy.

Fundraising Idea:

Some states have a program that will allow taxpayers to directly
donate their tax return to a charity. This is a fundraising option
worth checking out
for some of our affiliates. We suggest a Google search like, “Donate
my tax refund {insert state}” or going to your state department of
revenue website
and searching on “donate tax refund directly to charity” to see about
the possibilities.

Reminders:
Raffles and Drawings:

If you are planning a raffle that will be promoted via the internet,
including by email or posting on a web page, you need to comply with
all laws and
regulations for both raffles/drawings and for those that regulate
internet gaming. If you are in a jurisdiction that allows raffles and
drawings, you can
do raffles and promote them via the internet, but state and local
governments highly regulate in this area and you want to comply. Some
states ban internet
gaming entirely. If you need additional information, please reach out
to Patti Chang at
pchang at nfb.org
 or 410-659-9314, extension 2422.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

list of 4 items
• March 10: Deadline to register for the
Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
• March 31: Deadline to submit
scholarship application
• April 15: Deadline for the
Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award nominations
• July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans
list end

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396