[IL-Talk] at large minutes for november

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Wed Nov 30 18:23:13 UTC 2022

At Large Chapter

Minutes of meeting held Sunday, November 6th, 2022

Meeting began at 7:05 with introductions. President Dave Meyer noted an
award he and his wife Teresa received at the NFBI State Convention in
Naperville. Kyle Chellino said he has post-concussive syndrome. Bill
and Roberta Reif, Debbie Pittman, (who noted that At Large won IABS
Idol) Marilyn Green, (who will be working at Blind Service Association
beginning 11/14. Vice President Linda Hendle, Eileen Truschke, Danny
Mandrell and Jemal Powell joined later.

The program was guest Speaker Frances Durham from Virginia, who spoke
to us regarding the Lions Club organization. She had spoken at a
previous meeting regarding descriptive audio of plays. Her first
acquaintance with the Lions was through her participation in a fishing
trip the organization provided. The lions make many services available
including eye glasses and hearing aids. She learned more about the
group after being invited to a district meeting. She then invited some
lions to her NFB chapter, and they eventually started a branch chapter.
Local activities included an audible Easter egg hunt. Another activity
called Journey for Sight involved a blind person's having to direct a
sighted person to a particular destination using Braille directions.
Her club has also taken trips to other clubs. Her club also had fund
raisers including a lemonade stand and broom sales. Funds support trips
to a lodge and even scholarships. The Lions also encourage seniors to
join and participate. The Virginia Lions have even helped fund members
wishing to attend NFB conventions. Francis suggested we do more things
to draw attention if we exhibit at their conferences. We should also
reach out to local districts or chapters, the contact information of
which is available online.

Debbie moved, and Bill seconded, approval of the October minutes.
Motion passed with the amendment that her attendance was noted.

Marilyn Green presented the State Report. She was recently reelected as
State President. We had over 100 attendees, six exhibitors and two Gold
Sponsors including Democracy Live and the Seanburg Hoffman Estates
Lions Club. Marilyn will soon send an email requesting convention
feedback. Next year's convention will begin Friday and end Saturday
with the banquet, again at the Chicago Marriott Naperville the second
weekend of October. Room rate is $119 for king bed and $129 for two
queens. Washington Seminar will take place 1/30/2023 through 2/2/2023.
Those interested should apply by 12/10 by completing an application
available at nfbofillinois.org. the Midwest Student Seminar will take
place the weekend of 3/24/2022 at the Holiday Inn O'hare, 5615 North
Cumberland, Chicago.

Presidential Release 521 for November was played. This was from the
California Convention in San Diego. The organization's 82nd anniversary
is November 16th. Vispero is offering a matching grant up to $50,000
for any funds donated to the NFB between now and January 1st, 2023. We
are urged to vote in the November 8th, 2022. We are also requested to
tell the NFB about our experiences whether we vote in person or by mail
by completing the Blind Voter Surveys available at nfb.org/vote. We
have had several meetings with Uber regarding requirements for people
using service animals. Uber will extensively investigate any
complaints, and drivers will be suspended during those investigations.
If the denial is found to have been based on refusal to carry a guide
dog, Uber will permanently ban that driver. In addition to complaining,
please complete the form available at nfb.org/legal. It is now time to
promote the Braille Readers Are Leaders contest, conducted by the
American Action Fund. Contest runs from December 5th through January
23rd. Participants log the number of pages read. Visit
actionfund.beanstack.org for more info. Our Letters from Santa effort
has been expanded to include "winter letters" for those who celebrate
other holidays. Letters include other fun activities for children
through age 10. Info is available at nfb.org. the Web site and Web
Application Software Accessibility Act, sponsored by Tony Corello,
states this is as important as the ADA. This bill was introduced by
Tammy duckworth in the Senate and Rep John Sarbanes of Marilyn in the House.

The NFB Pledge was recited.

Michel Alt of Chicago, Katrina Tease, who works a a proof reader at
Horizons for the Blind, and Slone Morris who exhibited at convention,
have paid dues at convention. Debbie Moved, and Linda seconded, that
these three members be accepted.

The next meeting will be Sunday December 4th at 7:00. The meeting
adjourned at 8:22.
Respectfully submitted,
Bill Reif, Secretary