[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of September 26

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Sep 28 10:37:31 UTC 2022

Critical Actions:

October 1: Presidential Release LIVE in Mississippi:

Brought to you live from the home of the Jackson Chapter of the NFB of
Mississippi, next month's Presidential Release LIVE will be this Saturday,
October 1, 5:00 p.m., eastern. Zoom ID: 960 0225 8139.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo
%3Freset%3D1%26id%3D540&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2Ku82oCMRry1TofmrAv5aU> Access
details available.

News:

Submit Activities including White Cane Awareness Day Proclamations:

On White Cane Awareness Day, and throughout October, members of the National
Federation of the Blind conduct activities in our local communities such as
white cane walks, film screenings, and social events. Please submit your
affiliate or chapter-related #BlindMonth activities, including the white
cane proclamations, with a brief description to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/txb1vu09wk4n/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=web@nfb.org>
web at nfb.org. They will be posted on the Blind Equality Achievement Month
page at
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblind-month&sa=D&sntz=1&
usg=AOvVaw2_rR6SyVEs1jV_8lnBK8jn> nfb.org/blind-month. There is also still
time to
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fbl
ind-equality-achievement-month%2Fwhite-cane-awareness-day&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AO
vVaw1FHy7b5N5XuUaG2s65b0J2> encourage your local government to issue a
proclamation.

It's the Fourth Quarter for Our Legislative Priorities:

Three months left in the 117th Congress. The House and Senate will be in
session later this week on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The House is
then scheduled to adjourn until mid-November. The Senate will return on
November 14 as well, but they may also be in session from Monday, October
10, through Friday, October 21. Once they return in November, they will only
be in session a total of four weeks before the end of the year and the start
of the next Congress. As you can tell, things are coming down to the wire,
but it's not over yet. This is the time to surge to give our legislation the
best opportunity to pass. Please continue to urge your members of Congress
to support our bills by signing up as a cosponsor.

Career Fair-Registration Deadline Approaching:

Attention job seekers and employers: Please register for the Blind Equality
Achievement Month VIRTUAL Career Fair that will be held October 26, 2022,
from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., eastern. Registration is required by October 14,
2022. Fearless Job Interview Seminar Parts 1 (October 4) and Part 2 (October
13) will offer valuable information that job seekers can apply to any job
search strategy.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo
%3Freset%3D1%26id%3D522&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0tC64FrJ80V3l0xOPWvqHo> Learn
more, get access details, and register now for the Career Fair.

Fall Open House for Prospective Members:

We will be holding an open house for prospective members on Wednesday,
November 2, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. If you know people who are interested but
may have questions about the Federation, our philosophy, or what it means to
be a member, they are welcome to attend this event via Zoom. To register and
receive the invite information, they can email
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/txb1vu09wk4n/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=membership@n
fb.org> membership at nfb.org.

Catch Up on Content:

Highlights and the convention round up are available in the most recent
Braille Monitor and more. The following are National Federation of the Blind
publications for you to access and share with Federationists:

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpublica
tions%2Fbm%2Fbm22%2Fbm2208%2Fbm2208tc.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw04P_XxBPrxXr
sQuwi83BPU> August/September Braille Monitor

*       Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog post, "
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblog%2Ftogether-again-
family-reunion-nola&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3KjIaQKTfPfwBB1x9f8alD> Together
Again - A Family Reunion In NOLA" by Liz Wisecarver

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fnations-blind-podcast&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2WUpuwuoF9EMv8xhW
KHX7m> Recent Nation's Blind Podcast episodes interviewing Bolotin Award
winners, Caroline Karbowski, and Netflix

Upcoming Event Next Week: Office 365 Suite Accessibility Boutique:

The National Federation of the Blind, in partnership with the Maryland
Department of Disabilities, invites you to attend the Office 360 Suite
Accessibility Boutique. Learn about the features of Microsoft's online
Office 365 Suite and its accessibility for blind and low-vision users. The
boutique, scheduled for October 4 from 2:00-3:30 p.m., eastern, via Zoom,
will focus on Office 365's Word, PowerPoint, and Excel applications.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fevents&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2IsIHe4GKTyJ
uXjK16jS1d> Register for the October 4 Accessibility Boutique.

NFB-NEWSLINER:

We encourage our members to subscribe to NFB-NEWSLINER. Our leaders in the
movement set the strongest example through everyday actions. What answer
would you give if a member asked you if you use NFB-NEWSLINE? Would you say
that you love NFB-NEWSLINE and use it every day, or might you say some
members love NFB-NEWSLINE, it is a great service, but I do not use it to get
my information? How can we talk genuinely about the benefits of the service
if the service does not benefit us? How can it become a more valuable
resource for our members? We ask you and every leader in our movement to
subscribe to NFB-NEWSLINE and explore our valuable service. Please let your
members observe you using the service, so they can follow your lead. To
register or to receive a reminder of your identification and security codes,
call 866-504-7300.

NFB-NEWSLINE can help you and our members strengthen Federation philosophy
by reading the Braille Monitor and Walking Alone and Marching Together,
along with other sources of Federation information. You could even venture
outside of the Federation each month and read Toastmasters magazine and
gather the information you need to boost your public speaking skills. Learn
more about NFB-NEWSLINE at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfbnewsline.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=
AOvVaw3lUVZ2XpNaHreRxeHiHmtO> https://nfbnewsline.org. And remember,
affiliate and chapter presidents can certify people for NFB-NEWSLINE, so you
can give the gift of information. Contact Jesse Shirek for further details
on extension 2348 or via email at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/txb1vu09wk4n/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=jshirek@nfb.
org> jshirek at nfb.org.

Chapter and affiliate training sessions on NFB-NEWSLINE are available for
your members; please contact Scott White for scheduling. Scott can be
reached at extension 2231 or by sending an email to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/txb1vu09wk4n/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=swhite@nfb.o
rg> swhite at nfb.org.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	October 4:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fevents&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2IsIHe4GKTyJ
uXjK16jS1d> Office 365 Suite Accessibility Boutique

*	October 15:
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwhitecane.day&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvV
aw3AKI69EB23pXwqJzJ8Lkv5> White Cane Awareness Day

*	October 21: Where the Blind Work Webinar
*	October 25:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fevents&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2IsIHe4GKTyJ
uXjK16jS1d> Education Technology Accessibility Boutique
*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.