[IL-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of January 22

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Jan 23 19:10:58 UTC 2024

Critical Actions:

Presidential Release Note:

The February Presidential Release will not be live. Please encourage members
to attend the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2R7hJfxbBbgNNy6RqxZ2yb>
Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In on Monday, January 29, at 5:00 p.m.,
eastern. The February Presidential Release recording will be made available
by February 2, 2024.

Washington Seminar:

2024 Washington Seminar:

We are only seven days away from the Great Gathering-In and the official
start of the 2024 Washington Seminar on Monday, January 29! Please be sure
to visit our Washington Seminar page at
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2FWashington-seminar&sa=D&
sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3ROngc2YpRtpZvcSHihbwU> nfb.org/Washington-seminar for all
of the latest updates including the full event agenda, all of our fact
sheets in four formats (Word, HTML, BRF, and audio), a description of the
Holiday Inn Washington Capitol - National Mall, and a description of the
United States Capitol Complex.

If you aren't able to be at the Holiday Inn for the Great Gathering-In, you
can still access it via Zoom or live stream.

Join via Zoom:
Web:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb-org.zoom.us%2Fj%2F9815655645
5%23success&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0wSYZVQ_km4q5zvGiTnMud>
https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/98156556455
Or one tap mobile :
US: +13017158592,,98156556455# US (Washington DC) or
+13052241968,,98156556455# US
Webinar ID:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb-org.zoom.us%2Fj%2F9815655645
5&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0M5bijGPKaH_eNx2SeY-jd> 981 5655 6455

Access our live stream by asking your Amazon device to play "Nation's
Blind."

News:

Promote the Scholarship Program Application:

The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind college
students reach their educational and employment goals and so much more.
Building on its strong foundation, we have enhanced the awards
granted-making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful
for the thirty finalists. Each scholarship winner will receive $8,000.
Please share the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fscholarships.nfb.org%2Fsites%2Fs
cholarships.nfb.org%2Ffiles%2F2024-01%2FScholarship-Program-2024-Flyer.docx&
sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3bYQpE-5gNA8c2F0DpDluu> scholarship program flyer and
website (
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fscholarships.nfb.org%2F&sa=D&snt
z=1&usg=AOvVaw0ptIjXDrowoNm-ZAy5djFv> scholarships.nfb.org) to affiliate and
chapter listservs, rehab counsellors, parent groups, schools for the blind,
other financial aid connections in your state, local blind groups on social
media, and any other contacts that connect with blind students. There are
more
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fscholarships.nfb.org%2Fmarketing
-materials&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3nPCU2kaMSF-KlpLQFxL5r> marketing materials
in the Scholarship State President Dashboard.

Member Profile Reminder:

As chapters, affiliates, and divisions refresh information for the year
ahead, remember that the Member Profile is a self-serve place on our website
where members can update their contact information and preferences. Below is
information about the Member Profile that you can provide to members.

*       To log in to your Member Profile, you must be a current member of
the NFB with an email address that only you use. If you share an email
address, only one person's profile will be created. For example, if John and
Sally Smith share an email address, only Sally will have a profile created
for her.

*       Your username for the Member Profile is the email address associated
with your membership. If you're unsure of which email address that is, you
can ask the membership coordinator for your entity.

*       If you did not activate your profile using the link in the email
that was sent out last September, you will need to set a password by going
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3rAR
gQNfKsAb7ub-51jLqM> nfb.org, activating the link called "members," entering
your username, but instead of selecting "login," you would go to the link
that says "reset password." There, you will reenter your username, and then
you will receive an email with instructions on how to change your password.

*       Once logged in to your profile, you will be able to change contact
and demographic information. You will also have access to member-exclusive
benefits.

*       If you have trouble accessing your profile, please send an email to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/ozgpndrnsw7g/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=membership@n
fb.org> membership at nfb.org so that we can assist.

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act:

For the first time, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act has been
introduced in the Senate! On Thursday, January 18, Senator Maggie Hassan of
New Hampshire and Senator Mike Braun of Indiana introduced S. 3621. This
means that two of our Washington Seminar priorities now have legislation in
both the House and the Senate. And we couldn't have done it without all of
you!

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest:

This is the final week for the Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest,
sponsored by the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults. If you
haven't registered, you still can, if you have registered but haven't logged
any minutes, you can and should do that as well. For those of you who have
logged minutes, completed activities, and secured some badges, don't quit
now. The last day to read was this past Friday. The final day for submitting
your minutes will be Friday, January 26. Braille Rocks!

Update on Resolution 2023-05:

Per our Resolution 2023-05: Regarding Audio Delays During Live Radio
Play-by-Play Broadcasts, the National Federation of the Blind is submitting
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fpolicy-statements%2Frequest-universal-solution-live-audio&sa=D&sntz
=1&usg=AOvVaw1VGO94M-V9xQ617zEQog_f> request for a universal solution for
live audio without broadcast delays to all major sports league
commissioners. Please share the letter on social media and to your major
league sports contacts. Here is a sample social media post that you can use
to tag your state teams or favorite leagues.

Many blind people enjoy the shared experience of live sports and cheering on
our team from the stands. The radio play-by-play typically provides the
descriptive information that we need, but this experience often falls short
of allowing our equal participation due to the broadcast delay applied to
the radio commentary. We request a universal solution for live audio without
broadcast delays from all major sports leagues. Read President Riccobono's
letter to the commissioners:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fpolicy-statements%2Frequest-universal-solution-live-audio&sa=D&sntz
=1&usg=AOvVaw1VGO94M-V9xQ617zEQog_f>
https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/request-univers
al-solution-live-audio.

National Association of Blind Students Midwest Regional Seminar:

Save the date! Join us March 22-24 at the Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare for the
NABS Midwest Regional Seminar-an exciting weekend of professional growth,
confidence-building, and mentorship for blind students. Engage in
interactive activities, thought-provoking discussions, and riveting
presentations on topics like advocating for accommodations and stepping into
your identity. Registration opens soon! For inquiries, contact NABS board
member Hunter Kuester at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/ozgpndrnsw7g/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=Hunterkueste
r2 at gmail.com> Hunterkuester2 at gmail.com.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	Monday, January 29, 2024: Great Gathering-In
*	Tuesday, January 30, 2024: Congressional Reception (Washington
Seminar)
*	January 29-February 1, 2024:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2R7hJfxbBbgNNy6RqxZ2yb>
Washington Seminar
*	April 15, 2024: Deadline for
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fsc
holarships-and-awards%2Fdr-jacob-bolotin-awards%2Fapplication-information&sa
=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw33OTCrsq2843D2Kf0s4SnV> Bolotin Award nominations
*	July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement

*	Wednesday, February 7, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, May 8, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, August 7, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, November 6, 8:00 p.m.

Chapter Presidents Calls

*	Thursday, March 14, and Sunday, March 17, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, June 13, and Sunday, June 16, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, September 12, and Sunday, September 15, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, December 19, and Sunday, December 22, at 8:00 p.m.

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.