[Jayhawk-chapter] Jayhawk Chapter Meeting Minutes for April 16 2011.doc

Susan Tabor souljourner at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 11 02:51:35 UTC 2011

Attached and below you will find our April minutes. Take care and be well!

Susan

Jayhawk Chapter Monthly Meeting Minutes Apr. 16, 2011

Location: Independence INC 2001 Haskell Avenue Lawrence, Kansas 66046

Time: 2:00-4:00PM

Officers: Chikako Mochizuki, President; rob Tabor, Vice President; Susan
Tabor, Secretary; Bob Fuller, Treasurer

MEETING COMMENCEMENT:

I Greetings

II Introduction (if any guests are attending)

The meeting was called to order at 2:05 p.m. Attending were:  Chikako
Mochizuki, Rob Tabor, Bob Fuller, Luther Fuller, Ron and Cheryl Miller,
Sidney Roedel, Susan Tabor. There were no guests.

OFFICERS' REPORT:

I.                    President's Report

II.                  Our president reported that Comet was recovering nicely
after her surgery. She will be returning home midweek. She reported that
there would be scholarships awarded for assistance with costs on the
national convention and she had submitted all of the names of people in our
chapter whom she knew would be attending.

III.                Vice President's report.

IV.                Rob Tabor reported that the Tom Page Trio would be
playing at the      Lounge on Sunday, April 17 at the Replay Lounge

V.

III. Secretary's report

The secretary is still working on the roster and apologized for being
sidetracked by a number of projects. She also reported that the Braille
class is going well. Independence Inc. has embraced having the class meet at
its facility and has been extremely open and hospitable.

IV. Treasurer's report

Bob Fuller reported that we have $491.22 in our treasury. Farmstead Treats
sent us a check for $76.35 for taxes which we paid. A check was sent to us
with a note asking for the correct paperwork for tax exemption. We are
unable to produce this, we think, because part of the business of the NFB is
lobbying and advocacy. So we voted to send that money back to them with an
explanation.

OLD BUSINESS:

Seeking for an opportunity for Fund Raising for our chapter

The realm of fundraising possibilities was thoroughly discussed. Bob will
pursue the concert option and also the discount card with Pizza Hut. Susan
will explore the restaurant discount nights options, will continue as nut
chair and will get info about candy selling options and other selling
options. As it gets closer to the nut sale, we will investigate having sales
tables at the Community Mercantile and at Wal-Mart and other community
venues.

(1)   Continuing discussion on The Louis Braille coin which still has not
been sold

(2)   There was discussion but no solid decision was made. Some want to sell
it at Meet the Blind Month in October or at state convention and others
think raffling it at Lions would bring in more money for the coin.

NEW BUSINESS:

I.                    A possibility of participating Lion's Club Annual
conference held in Lawrence in June of

II.                 this year

III.               The Lions State Conference  will take place June 3-5,
2011 at the Holidome here in Lawrence.

(1)   People will be needed to staff our booth all day Saturday June 4 and
Friday evening June 3. We may sell the coin and will have awareness
literature to distribute. Our president Chikako is joining the Lawrence
Lions and we will be working on ways to work with further with the Lawrence
Lions.

II Spring social for Jayhawk Chapter (what about something fun for everyone
during this spring?)  I.E. a short field trip to somewhere nearby from
Lawrence.

There was a lot of support for this idea. More concrete arrangements will be
made later.

MISCELLANEOUS:

I.                    Brief report of Washington Seminar from those who
attended.

II.                 Chikako, Rob, and the Millers attended from our chapter.
All were impressed with the quality of the event and with the opportunity to
visit legislators' offices and discuss our legislative platform.

III.               Possible financial support from our chapter to attendees
of this year's national convention for our chapter members Attending

IV.              Concern about our chapter treasury was expressed and the
consensus was to let the state-affiliate-sponsored scholarships stand on
their own this year.

V.                 Knowledge Base

Title: "Blio Demonstration"

This demonstration was provided by James Gashel and was downloaded from the
nfb.org website. .

VI.              Attending music performance by Tom Page from South Central
Wichita Chapter Apr. 17, 2011 at the Replay Lounge in Lawrence.

VII.            This concert was again announced.

VIII.         National Officers' Report:

Presidential Release.

People will listen on their own from the nfb.org website, as we ran out of
time. We were adjourned at 4:00 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted:

Susan E. Tabor, Secretary,

May 10, 2011