[Jayhawk-chapter] Sorry

Cheryl Miller cheributton at live.com
Sun Jun 22 02:19:35 UTC 2014

It just occurred to me that I only sent the minutes as an attachment. Therefore, I am pasting them below. Thanks, Cheryl

NFB Kansas Jayhawk Chapter

Meeting Minutes

Date: June 21, 2014

Call to Order: The June meeting was called to order at 1:18 p.m.

National Presidential Release by Dr. Marc Maurer: There was not a presidential release this month due to convention preparations.

Chapter President's Report: Rob reminded us that national convention is coming up from July 1 to July 6. Rob is the only one from our chapter who will be attending. We are expecting 7-8 attendees from Wichita. From Emporia will come Anna "Anya" Avramenko, a national scholarship winner. After twenty-eight years serving as the Federation's national president, this will be Dr. Maurer's last national convention serving in that capacity. Dr. Maurer is endorsing Dr. Mark Riccobono as our next national president. That will be decided at national convention.

Chapter Vice President's Report: There was no vice-presidential report.

Approval of Minutes: There were no additions or corrections to the minutes and they were approved as written.

Chapter Treasurer's Report: Brendy reported that our current balance is $869.44.

Old Business: Rob reported on the continued planning of the state convention. The convention is being held at the Holidome in Lawrence on November 21-23.  Two pre-convention activities have been planned. The first is a cooking demonstration which will be held at the Mercantile. The other option for a pre-convention activity is a presentation by Loren Schmidt about the BELL program. The main theme of the convention is Braille literacy.  Rob has arranged for post banquet entertainment. Bradford Hoopes and Ardys Ramberg, local musicians will provide us with an eclectic mix of music.

Rob advised us that we will receive $200.00 from the fund raiser that was held at Freddie's on May 22. Yeah!

New Business: The first order of new business was the announcement that there are plans to launch an educational campaign in an effort to instruct our legislatures about Newsline. The idea is to familiarize them with it by explaining what it is, what is does for the blind and why it is important for it to have a stable funding base. Immediate plans include the distribution of a document to members of the Kansas Federation which will detail how to find our legislatures and what points we should cover in our communication with those legislatures. After the August primary, we need to start making contact with legislatures, and after the election in November, we will begin addressing the issue of money. We essentially need the State to allocate $90,000 toward the funding of Newsline. Two funding streams will be proposed. The first is the request that it be made a line item in the VR budget. The other proposed means of funding is the universal service fund which is a special fund created for special telecommunication projects like phones with particular adaptations.

Sidney proposed that we provide Rob with $200.00 toward his national convention expenses. The vote was a unanimous yes.

Rob is appointing a nominating committee. Athena is going to chair that. Sidney and Cheryl volunteered to assist her.

It was decided that the park fees that will be incurred from our August picnic will be paid for out of our treasury. Brendy moved that our chapter spend up to $50.00 toward the picnic. Cheryl seconded. It passed unanimously.

Meeting Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 2:10 p.m.

Date of Next Meeting:

There will be no meeting in July. On August 16th we will have a picnic with a brief business meeting.

Respectfully Submitted,

Cheryl Miller

Jayhawk Chapter Secretary