[Jayhawk-chapter] An Opportunity TO Advocate For More Accessible Taxicab Transportation

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 8 02:19:25 UTC 2015

Good morning colleagues and cohorts,

It has come to my attention that the Lawrence City Commission is considering
a major overhaul of ordinance No. 9092 which sets forth a process and
criteria for issuance of taxicab operator licenses. I bring this to your
attention because it occurs to me this is truly a golden opportunity to make
our voices heard as impoertant stakeholders as we have all been from time to
time consumers of taxi services here in Lawrence. Forexample, there are
talking taximeters which the city ordinance could require taxicab operators
to install, thus enabling blind riders to have independent verification of
the fare we will be asked to pay at destination. It also occurs to me that
being found guilty of discrimination against blind persons and those with
other disabilities could be added as grounds for denial of an application
for taxicab operators license or for revoking an existing license.

I am attaching FYI a detailed memorandum from Brandon McGuire to City
Manager Dave Corlis. This memo provides a very thorough summary of proposed
changes to Ordinance No. 9092. This memo does get rather deep in the weeds
of taxicab operator licensing, so if you would like a simplified version to
study I can create and distribute that as well. It should be noted that the
only stakeholders which city staff consulted include currently licensed
operators and pending applicants for taxicab licenses. This of course is a
good thing to do, but consumers including those with disabilities are
stakeholders as well and should be consulted before the city commission puts
this item on the fast track and adopts the newly amended ordinance.

**ACTION NEEDED**

1.       Contact at as many city commissioners as you can reach and request
that action be deferred on the amendments to Ordinance 9092 while we work
with city officials to develop language to address the needs and rights of
consumers with disabilities including blindness in the taxicab licensing
process. Contact information for all 5 city commissioners is listed at the
end of this posting after my clising and name block.

2.       Show up at the Lawrence City Commission meeting at City Hall, 6
East Sixth Street on Tuesday, March 10 at 5:45 pm.

It goes without saying we must move quickly to have a positive impact on the
quality of taxicab services in our fare city. Thanks in advance to everyone
for your contributions to this very important community endeavor.

Best regards,

Rob Tabor | president Jayhawk Chapter NFB of Kansas

7858413875 landline                       7858659959 mobile

Lawrence City Commissioners with Contact Information Mayor

Mike Amyx

mikeamyx515 at hotmail.com

Home: (785) 843-3089

Work: (785) 842-9425