[Jayhawk-chapter] March minutes

Brendy Latare 6brendy at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 16 03:19:32 UTC 2016

Hello all,
Last month's minutes are attached and pasted below. Again sorry for sending them out so late! Please let me know of any corrections or additions.

I will unfortunately not be able to be at tomorrow's meeting—can someone fill in for me? I appreciate it.

Thank you,
Brendy

Jayhawk Chapter NFBKS
March 19, 2016
Lawrence Public Library, Room B
707 Vermont Street, Lawrence, KS

In attendance: Rob Tabor, Pat Slick, Jim Secor, Sidney Roedel, Renée Morgan, Charles Hurst, Brendy Latare

The meeting was called to order at 1:17 pm
We listened to Presidential Release #448.

President’s report: Rob told us about his 3 trips to the east coast in 3 months.
1) Washington Seminar in January: Seven from Kansas attended, down from nine who planned to go. Two couldn’t travel because of the major snowstorm and cleanup. The seminar agenda had to be changed somewhat, but has never been cancelled, and legislative priorities were still addressed.
2) Convention Planning Seminar at the Jernigan Institute in Baltimore in mid-February. In addition to Rob, Anya Avromenko attended representing the Kansas Student Division. There were guest speakers and exhibits.
3) Leadership Training Seminar, also held at the Jernigan Institute, in early March. It was a class of 26 people, the 82nd such class to be held by the Federation.

Rob also reported that South Central member Emily Schlenker is still seeking full access to a Chemistry class that she needs for her degree in Chiropractic from Wichita State University. After about 2 years of efforts, she now has representation from Baltimore law firm Brown Goldstein and Levy.

Kansas NFB is working on sending 2 people to Colorado Center for the Blind. Our own Pat Slick would appreciate advocacy to attend CCB, though Voc Rehab wants him to stick with Alphapointe in Kansas City, Mo. Rockhurst University student Ashley Neybert is the other candidate for CCB.

2016 Kansas NFB Convention will be held in Topeka. Donna Wood and Rob will meet on Friday, March 25 to visit hotels, with more news to follow.

Kansas NFB board meeting will be held by phone on April 10 at 3:00 pm.

Vice President’s report:  **I must have been listening raptly because I wrote nothing down here, sorry Renée!….can anyone help?**

Secretary’s report: February minutes were approved as emailed.

Treasurer’s report: In Ron’s absence, Rob reported no change in our finances: we have $584.20 in the bank.

Fundraising: In Terrill Thompson’s Accessible NCAA Tournament Bracket, there are 22 entries from our chapter. As an added feature, Terry is offering a private pool that we can join. Rob will send out more info soon. Ron Miller is the winner of the recruitment prize with 10 brackets recruited. Ron and the winner of the actual bracket will each win a $50 gift card donated by the Salty Iguana.

Clean Start Soap Sales fundraiser: Susan, Jim, and Cheryl will have more info at next meeting.

We decided to do another Freddy’s Frozen Custard fundraiser again soon. Rob and Jim will follow up.

Old Business, or was it New Business?: There was interest expressed in iPhone training. Rob will get hold of Pat and Renée.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:36 pm.
Next meeting April 16, Lawrence Public Library Room B

Respectfully submitted by Brendy Latare