[Jayhawk-chapter] Jayhawk Chapter minutes Oct. 21, 2017

Tamara Kearney tamara at gatetoserenity.com
Thu Jan 18 03:23:12 UTC 2018

Jayhawk Chapter

Minutes Oct. 21, 2017

President’s Report

State convention Nov. 10-12 at DoubleTree by Hilton. State can subsidize room rate to $99 per night. Convention rates are: registration, $5 in advance, $10 at the door; $17 for the luncheon; $25 for the banquet. You can pay by PayPal to treasurer at nfbks.org. There will be a form to fill out. Download and email this form to the address above, or mail to NFB of KS 1812 Mississippi Lawrence, KS 66044.

Program: pre-convention activities begin on Friday, Nov. 10 at 1:30 pm. These include two iPhone classes, a beginners class and an advanced class. Anna Dresner will do the advanced training. At 4:00 there will be divisional meetings. Starting at 5:00 pm is hospitality with hot and cold food. Exhibits will run from 6:00-10:00 pm.

Carla MacQuillen will be the national representative. The theme of the convention is STEM the tide of low expectations. On Saturday, Nov. 11 morning meetings run from 9:00-12:00. A luncheon will be served at noon, followed by afternoon meetings from 1:30-5:00, and then the banquet, followed by dancing and entertainment. Sunday morning, Nov. 12 is a business meeting at 9:30. Adjourn at 12:00 noon.

Minutes

Sept. Minutes approved

Treasurers Report

We have a balance of $801.82.

Old Business

Proclamation for White Cane Day and Meet the Blind Month went smoothly. Rob had a Radio interview Friday with Hank Booth on his program, “According to the Record” on KLWN. Rob spoke about the convention, and the screening of the film, “Do You Dream in Color?” The interview was very successful. Rob was invited back to play the trailer.

New Business

Elections: The Following individuals were elected as officers: Rob, President; Renée, Vice-president; Brendi, Treasurer; Tamara, secretary.

The film, “Do You Dream in Color?” will be shown from 6:30-9:00 pm in the library Tuesday, Oct. 24. The DVD has been Purchased for $100. The fee for use of the library auditorium is $50 per hour. We will pay for two hours, but we will be allowed to use the space for two hours and a half. A motion was made and seconded to pay for the film. The motion passed. Some members will come to the library early to set up. A Q and A opportunity for the public will follow the viewing of the film. A meeting will be held at Renée’s home to preview the film.

Holiday Party: Susan is making arrangements for our annual Holiday social to be held on Dec. 2 at Free State Brewery from 6:00-10:00 pm. Some concerns were raised that the room reserved for this purpose is not accessible. Susan will look into it. We are to bring a white elephant gift worth no more than $10 to exchange.

Pat urges members of this group to test to see if the write-in candidates are accessible on the voting machines.  Currently only an on-screen keyboard is available, and it is not accessible to a blind user.

The hospital and affiliated medical groups have no one to read consent forms.

We will not meet in Nov. or Dec.

We will continue to meet at 10:00 am through March, and again reevaluate whether or not we want to continue to meet at this time.

The meeting adjourned at 11:55.

Respectfully submitted,

Tamara Kearney

Tamara Kearney