[Jayhawk-chapter] Jayhawk Chapter Minutes

Tamara Kearney tamara at gatetoserenity.com
Sun Apr 7 20:44:22 UTC 2019

Jayhawk Chapter Minutes

March 18, 2019

Call to order, 4:20 pm.

We listened to Presidential Release no. 481.

Rob pointed out that NLS was the first to introduce 33-1/3RPM vinyl records. Compressed speech was also an innovation of the NLS talking book program.

Minutes: The minutes were approved as submitted.

State Report: Rob will send membership details to the national office.

The state  board is still deciding  on a financial aid package for those wanting to go to the national convention. This will be voted on at the April 7th state board meeting. It is best to register on line for the national convention.

Alison Roets is handling our social media presence.

State convention will be held on November 1-3 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Salina.

Washington Seminar Report: Renée met with senators and representatives to ask them to sponsor or co-sponsor several bills.

Fund Raising: We are preparing to participate in our 5th bracket challenge. It’s $5 to participate. We are encouraged to recruit others outside our chapter to join us. In order to comply with current state law, this needs to be handled as a donation. Rob will hold a conference call at 8:00 tonight to explain details on how to access the bracket challenge, and how it works. Brendy can collect our participation fees today after the meeting. We can also use Rob’s PayPal account for this.

Treasurer’s Report: no change from last month, $1082.82. The report was approved as read.

New Business: Rob conducted a three minute brainstorming session to generate fund raising ideas. We came up with the following: trivia, night; selling things; bake sales; 50-50 raffle; candy sales; talent  night; karaoke night; Restaurant give-back; car wash; art show; craft sale; walkathon; golf tournament; bowling for dollars; bowling when everyone wears sleep shades; guess how many of something is in a jar, or how much it weighs; demolition of a car; scavenger hunt where people pay to participate; dinner in the dark.

The April meeting will be at Conroy’s on April 8th at the usual time, from 4:00-6:00 pm. The May meeting will be at the library. Lynda will be hosting our social on June 9th.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:50 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Tamara Kearney, Secretary