[Jayhawk-Chapter] Vital Convention Info and Registration form

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 9 16:36:47 UTC 2019

Greetings Kansas Federation family,

Though it may be hard to believe, the time for the 2019 NFB of Kansas
convention is at hand. We will convene at the Hilton Garden Inn and
Convention Center at 3320 South 9th Street in Salina from Friday, November 1
to Sunday, November 3.

Hotel reservations. You have now 2 days to reserve your hotel room as a
block of rooms is reserved for us with a deadline of Friday, October 11. We
are to assume this is a hard facst and non-negotiable deadline. Room rates
are $109 plus applicable sales and hotel guest taxes. You may reserve your
room by calling (785) 309-0440. A credit or debit card is required to
reserve the room consistent with hospitality industry practice. Be sure to
tell the reservation agent that you are attending the NFB convention in
order to get our reduced convention rate. This being a Hilton property, you
will not want to pay the nightly rack rate.

Financial assistance. If the Kansas affiliate is helping you with hotel
expenses, DO NOT make a room reservation as this will be done for you and it
will confuse matters with the hotel if you do. We provide financial
assistance to Ken Tiede Memorial scholarship candidates and other blind
students, first time convention attendees, and others whom state ledership
determines to have a diar need. If you wish to receive financial assistance
or you are wondering if you are on the list for such, please contact our
state convention chairman Donna Wood by phone at (316) 640-0650, or by email
at donnajwood at cox.net. It by email to treasurer at nfbks.org. You may also
print out the form and send it by mail by calling our state treasurer Robert
Fuller at (785) 424-4678 to make arrangements for form submission and
payment. You may also pay via Paypal by entering treasurer at nfbks.org as the
payee.

Pre-convention seminars. If you are able to arrive on Friday, there are 2
great workshops you will not want to miss. The first will be the Access
Technology Extravaganza!, followed by a mini seminar on our legislative
advocacy program. These workshops will preceed hospitality and which tasty
hors d'oeuvres will be enjoyed with attitude adjusting libations also
available.

Resolutions and nominating committees. These committees will meet
immediately following hospitality hour. Resolutions are intended to address
policies and practices wich either create problems for or benefit blind
Kansans. In writing a resolution the main thing to keep in mind is to state
the nature of the policy or practice, specify how it affects blind Kansans,
and what should be done to change the policy or practice. The "whereas"
clauses present the problem while the "be it resolved" clauses state the
remedy to be commended. If you have a resolution idea, you may submit it by
email to me as resolutions chairman by email at rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net.
Chapter presidents are reminded to appoint representatives to these
committees. You may appoint yourselves if you so choose, and you may appoint
the same member to represent your chapter on both committees, since the
nominating committee immediately follows the resolutions committee meeting.

Door prizes. In the interest of efficiency, we are asking you to limit door
prizes to cash or gift cards, either of which will be easily portable for
everyone. Simply bring your door prize offerings to the convention.

Last but not least, please spread the word among any blind people you know
who may not be a member of an NFB chapter or division. Above all, do enjoy
yourselves and learn a bunch.

Best regards,

Rob Tabor | 1st vice president / convention co-chairman,

National Federation of the Blind of Kansas

(785) 865-9959

Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net

Convention registration. The costs for this year's state convention are as
follows: $5 to pre-register, $10 to register at the convention site, $15 for
the Saturday luncheon, and $30 for the Satukrday evening banquet. Thus, you
save $5 by registering early and your total would be $50 or $55 if you wait
to register at the convention. You may complete the attached registration
form and submi