[Jayhawk-Chapter] 2020 to Washington Seminar

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 28 15:32:31 UTC 2021

Seasons greetings again Kansas Federation family and friends,

Earlier this year in February we made history by conducting our first totally online 2021 Washington seminar. We are about to make history again, this time by convening a hybrid Washington seminar for the upcoming year. Preside President Riccobono and our legislative policy team at the National Center for the Blind are making a concerted effort to balance public health and safety with the benefits of face-to-face meetings with the congressional delegation‘s from each state affiliate. In this endeavor National leader ship has decided to limit the total number of in person slots to 152. As for Kansas we are allowed to have up to five in person delegates. Unle unless Congress adopts a joint set of rules for constituent meetings, each Congress member has the discretion as to whether or not to conduct meetings at their DC offices. At this juncture I don’t know whether any of our Kansas delegation plans to hold in person meetings. Therefore, I will be making contacts within the next week or so and will let you know the status of in person meetings with respect to our Kansas congressional delegation.

The upcoming Washington Seminar will begin as usual with the gathering in ceremony on February 7 at 4:00 PM CST with an earlier legislative training commencing at 1:00 PM CST. Unless something changes in the near future the legislative priorities for 2022 will be the same as they were for this year. As a happy reminder, I am proud to mention that Senator Morin has signed on to cosponsor the access technology affordability act (S-212.)

Regarding financial assistance for the event, the NFBK board voted to provide financial assistance iRegarding financial assistance for the event, the NFBK board voted to provide financial assistance in the amount of $1500 per person up to four individuals. If you would like to attend this year‘s Washington seminar you need to be a member in good standing of a local chapter or chartered State division And to express your interest in attending to your chapter president. The decision as to who will attend will be made by President Tom Page and myself as the state project codirectors.

As it has been since 1973 the Washington Seminar headquarters will be located at the Holiday Inn Capital, 550 C St. SW.. Hotel room reservations may be made by dialing (202) 479-4000. Our block of rooms will remain open until January 7.

Last but not least, keep watching your inbox for further information. There will also no doubt be further information in the upcoming national presidential release in early January.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president/legislative Director national Federation of the blind of Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net.