[Jayhawk-Chapter] Request for action on Blind parents rights bill SB 276

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 10 20:12:01 UTC 2022

Good afternoon Kansas Federation family, friends, and allies,

Now that Washington seminar 2022 is in the annals of Federation history, it is time to refocus on our endeavor at the state legislature to advocate for our blind parents rights bill. For those who were unable to attend or otherwise listen to the hearing on February 1, all of the testimony was in favor of the bill which the committee members seemed to receive favorably.

Because senate committee chairman in Richard Hilderbrand has discretionary power to determine which bills come up for discussion and a vote, it is imperative for us to make an urgent request of him to do so before the turnaround deadline of February 24, the date by which bills from nonexempt committees must pass the Senate in order to move them over to the house. The turnaround deadline occurs only two weeks from today. Therefore, it is imperative for us to act now.

Action requested. Please submit an email to Senator Hilderbrand at richard.hilderbrand at senate.ks.gov. Make sure to mention SB to 76 in the subject line. In the body of the email you might say something like this.

Dear Senator Hilderbrand,

On February 1 I, along with several of my colleagues, testified in favor of the above referenced bill heard before the Senate Public Health in Welfare Committee. As you will recall, no testimony was offered against the bill. I know right to request YouTube ring the bell up for discussion and action by the committee so that it can move to the floor of the Senate before the February 24 turnaround deadline. Again, I thank you for the opportunity to testify before the committee and we hope for a favorable outcome on the bill.

Sincerely,
(Your name, city, county, state

Happy writing, and enjoy the upcoming weekend.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president/legislative Director  National Federation of the Blind of Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net