[Jayhawk-Chapter] Kansas Blind parents rights act (SB 276 (

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 18 20:53:59 UTC 2022

Greetings in Kansas Federation colleagues,

I hope everyone has had a restful and relaxing holiday weekend. Now that the mid January holiday is behind us, it’s time to get back to work, Including the most important work of the Federation towards better enabling us to live the life we want by removing attitudinal barriers and the soft bigotry of low expectations.

The blind parents Wrightsville is now pending before the state Senate public health and welfare committee. At this point we need to be heard on the bill so it can hopefully pass out of committee and moved to the full Senate for action. Toward that end, I hope you will take a few moments out of your day to contact the members of the committee to request a hearing. I am proud to say that at least two members of the Kansas state affiliate have already done this, and hopefully more. The more voices those in power hear, the harder it is for them to ignore us. In your letter to the Senate committee members you might say something like

“My name is ___, a member of the National Federation of the Blind of Kansas. I am writing to request that SB276 be brought before the Senate Health and Wellfare committee for your consideration.  This bill helps to protect the rights of blind parents by protecting their civil rights and providing due process for them.  Children should not be taken away from their blind parents because of misconceptions regarding blindness.

Thank you for your consideration of this important matter.“

The committee consists of nine members who are
Molly Baumgardner, Renee Erickson, Beverly Gossage, Richard Hilderbrand, Cindy Holscher, Kristen O’Shea, Pat Petty, Mark Steffen, and Mike Thompson. The email Address pattern for the Kansas Senate is
-firstname.lastname at senate.ks.gov. For example, to send your email to Senator Thompson you would enter mike.thompson at senate.ks.gov
Please note that your email to Senator O’Shea  should not include the apostrophe in the email address.

Last but not least, I have been requested to disseminate the bill in its actual form and language. You may view and study the bill via the Dropbox link listed below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z42ovo2234g9v4x/sb276_00_0000.pdf?dl=0

Thanks to everyone in advance for doing your part. Let’s make guaranteed rights for blind parents a reality in Kansas this year.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president/policy Director national Federation of the blind of Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net