[Journalists] First Blind Journalist Of Pakistan Needs Some Information About Radio Training In USA

Jean Parker radioforever at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 04:21:56 UTC 2010

Dear Mr. Pirzada:

I am glad you are interested in radio.  I have been a radio journalist for
the past fifteen years.  I have worked for NPR, CBC, Radio Netherlands and
other networks.  For the last ten years I have lived and worked in India.

There are many good schools and institutes both in Europe and America that
offer audio production and radio journalism training.  Both Radio
Netherlands and Deutsch Welle have training programs that are high quality.
They are geared to people in developing countries in that if you get into
their programs they will cover all, or at least most expenses.  Other
students in these programs will be dealing with the same types of
journalistic and logistics issues people in America don't have to consider.
Before attending a "mainstreamed" training in this area, I would highly
suggest arriving at the training already confident and practiced with how to
edit audio on your computer using a screen reader.  Instructors in these
programs will have no idea how this is done and might even be skeptical
about whether it is even possible.  Therefore, it is best to deal with the
access aspect first.

There is no easy answer to how you can get this training.  However, if you
are very serious about this, one possibility would be for you and I to do
some work together in an intensive seminar format.  I did this recently with
a student who is studying at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  He
wanted to take a radio class at MIT and his instructor contacted me to work
with him so that when he began in the class he would be on the same playing
field as the other students.  He was from India and coming here on holiday
for the Christmas break.  He did very well in the class and will probably do
something in radio in the future.

Again, if you are definitely serious about this, I would be interested in
exploring a similar arrangement with you.  Although we live in the same
neighborhood of the world, there is of course a huge wall between us.
However, these logistical barriers can possibly be managed.

If you want to communicate further about this, you can write to me at:
radioforever at gmail.com
You can also give a call at:
+ 91 9890 436 033

Best of Luck,