[Journalists] Getting Hired

Watson, Katherine M. watsonkm05 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:35:28 UTC 2012

Hello Fellow Journalists,
     My name is Katie Watson, and in May, I graduated from The University of
Wisconsin-Whitewater with a degree in print journalism. While searching
through job listings, I've noticed that newspapers are looking for people
who can do as many things as possible--write, edit, take photos, create
video, lay out pages, etc. I am totally blind, and although I write and edit
well--I served as a copy editor and reporter for my student newspaper--I'm
not sure how I can present myself in a favorable light despite my lack of
physical ability to do everything in the job description. What can I say to
potential employers to bring out the benefits of my blindness so they don't
focus on the things I can't do?
     I'm proud of the degree I've earned, and of myself as a blind
journalist, and I know that my disability has given me a unique perspective.
I wrote an article in my student newspaper suggesting improvements to
accessibility on campus, and then received an email from The Office of
Residence Life saying they purchased a Braille labeler and requested my help
in labeling the washers and dryers in my dorm. However, in the tough
economic times of today--not to mention the troubles newspapers are facing
with the rise of the Internet--it is hard to believe an employer would give
me a chance when hiring me would require the newspaper to spend money to
also hire drivers and people to assist with formatting and layout,
especially when they could hire another candidate who can do all the tasks
themselves. I would appreciate any advice/assistance you could give. Thank
you for your time.

--Katie Watson