[Journalists] Getting Hired

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Tue Jul 3 23:04:46 UTC 2012

Katie,
I don't think I have a viable solution for you, but I too am a blind
journalist, and I find myself in a similar position. I graduated two
years ago and have been pondering how to present my strengths to
potential employers in a favorable way as well. I think  some of it has
to do with how you market yourself. Although you are correct in your
speculation that, given today's economical status, most newspapers and
magazines would rather hire one person who is capable of executing
multiple tasks. Gone are the good old days when newspapers sought out
dedicated journalists and photographers separately. Now, your camera
crew is your FlipCam and digital recorder, and your photo editor is Photoshop.
I have one suggestion that may or may not work for you. Why not do the
freelance thing for a while; Pitch and query away till you build up a
decent portfolio, and take a percentage of your earnings to pay a
photographer and an editor to help you submit your fully formatted
story  with accompanying photos. I know, it's a tedious idea. Why would
you want to pay someone to do work for you when you probably won't get
paid very much for producing the article in the first place.
Yet an increasing number of people, blind and sighted alike are turning
to freelancing as an acceptable job solution. That's true for companies
and papers as well as those of us who are looking to be employed. It's
quite logical actually, from the business standpoint. If a business can
hire a freelancer, they don't have to pay a full time worker for full
time services if there isn't enough work for that. Also, an employer
doesn't have to provide a freelancer benefits such as health insurance,
paid vacation, personal days, etc. They save on those expenses bigtime.
Why not start out as a freelancer  and establish connections with
useful people, build up an impressive portfolio and then think about
getting hired full time. Many people these days are hired as a result
of networking anyway. That's true for any profession. Also, while you
were probably very involved in your school's paper and you've written
various articles, etc., if an employer is going to consider hiring you
full time, he wants to see that you have real work experience. Being
involved in a student newspaper is great; I'm not knocking that because
I was heavily involved in my college's paper as well, but unless you've
completed some seriously impressive internships, your work written at
school won't be much of a wow factor, unfortunately.
I'm a freelancer right now, and it's going well so far. I actually like
it and might stick to this type of work instead of trying to become
employed full time. You can really find enough work to sustain yourself
financially, although admittedly it's hard to break into at first. I
can tell you more about my experience if you're interested; Feel free
to write me off list. Even if you aren't interested in working
freelance, you're welcome to keep in touch via email. I'm always
looking to network with other journalists, especially ones that may be
going through  similar issues that I am experiencing.

All Best,

Bernadetta P