[Journalists] Getting Hired

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at charter.net
Sat Jul 7 21:38:54 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Sorry to weigh in rather late on this topic. I just returned from the NFB
convention yesterday. For those who missed it, I felt the topics during the
general sessions as well as the meetings of divisions and committees gave us
a wealth of information in terms of accessibility and legislative issues of
importance. Why not focus on these for freelance opportunities. For
instance, find out if the Goodwill organization in your community pays its
disabled workers subminimum wage.
Before the convention, I forwarded a press release written by Chris
Danielsen to our managing editor and said I felt that our newspaper needed
to report on this unfair practice.
My editor asked me to check on whether Goodwill in Fort Worth pays
subminimum wage,and unfortunately, that is the case.

I did not write the article since I am the local chapter president, but I
was able to pass along valuable information to my colleagues.

Also, think about stories on access to polling places and blind people
organizing voter registration drives as we approach an important national
election.

Many of you already know that I am a totally blind person working full time
at a major regional daily paper, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. I realize the
importance of wearing many hats as newspapers are shifting to the digital
platform, but I also think you are spending too much time worrying about the
tasks that you cannot do rather than those that you can easily accomplish.

Yes, it is true that reporters are expected to shoot video, take pictures
and compose stories,and the expectations are for us to accomplish all of
those tasks while using our smart phones out in the field.
I can't take pictures or shoot video, but I can record and edit audio to
accompany my stories which is something that many of my colleagues are not
doing. I also post to Facebook and Twitter quite oftenand have given my
sighted colleagues hints on how to use the social networking sites as well
as some tips on creating calendars and so forth on their smart phones. They
are appreciative of that, just as I am appreciative of their assistance when
I need it
Because we have been through round after round of layoffs, we are doing more
with less. Currently, I am covering one of our larger school districts and
civil courts, a job I began about a month ago. After learning how to search
our district clerk's online database, I've been able to write several
interesting stories including one on former employees of BNSF Railway suing
the company after they developed lung disease because of years of asbestos
exposure.
I've also written about a widow suing a beer delivery company for wrongful
death after her husband died because he was shot in the head while
delivering beer in a high crime area. The suit accuses the company of
failing to give employees adequate safety training and for failing to post
signs on delivery trucks saying drivers do not carry cash.

I'm saying all of this because we can provide valuable resources and
stories. If you can take video and pictures, certainly do that, but don't
discount other skills that you have.

Please feel free to ask other questions,and I will do my best to answer
them.

Sincerely,

Liz Campbell