[Journalists] Getting Hired

Done Dennison oivey at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 11:44:02 UTC 2012

Katie, I'm partially sighted and I can do layout and many of the things you listed and I also find it difficult to get work as a journalist. However, I have some thoughts. First, you need to have a great clip book and recommendations. Write yourself the best resume and cover letter and apply for the jobs anyway. Second, do something on your own. Create a blog and or start freelancing. I started selling before I was out of college and had those experiences to help me know what it was like. The editor who hired me to freelance asked me how I was going to get to interviews. I told him that it was my job to work that out.

My husband and I run a small store in rural Oregon so I haven't been keeping up with it, but I started a blog doing movie reviews from films we picked up from the library. Pick a hobby and start one. There are tons of blog methods but I just used Google's free service blogger. Use social media like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to keep yourself connected.

Finally, you never know where your degree is going to take you. Be open to all kinds of writing. I read about a guy who helps businesses write press releases. I know when we first opened our store, I wrote one that got us some television exposure and it was fun writing.

View any rejection as an information gathering exercise and just keep going.

Done Dennison
Freelance Writer
Entrepreneur