[Journalists] Finding a Job

Sean Paul newsandtraffic at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 21:26:47 UTC 2014

Heyya there Jordan: Think that Liz has given you some great pointers here.
As a radio guy for 22 years. I'd say at this point. You need to idintify
what type of Journalist you would like to be. A writer? A radio guy?
Something behind the scenes? Only you can answer that. For me. Yes, I've
done most everything in radio. I've spun the hits. Done swop shop. Farm
reports. Ran the board for sporting events. Reported on everything from
shootings, to major crashes on the interstates, etc. But, what I wanted to
do is news. I had to find a way to get in to that. In other words, I had to
carve myself a nitch. One of the things which I did early on was I would
listen to scanners. Yes, I've always loved them & had several around. But,
I'd listen & call in breaking news reports to a local radio station once I
moved back to Chattanooga from doing small town radio. I also would listen
for traffic accidents on my scanners & call a local traffic company & pass
them on to them. After 6 months or so of doing this. The traffic company
hired me full time as they took on new stations. I was then able to
translate this in to doing on air work when someone was absent, busy, etc.
After awhile, I was put on air full time for them. Even got to start flying
in the plane & helicopter... Which was so much fun. I was also able to lend
my technical skills for their scanners, 2 way radios, computers, etc. When
one group of stations decided to take their traffic reporting in house. They
called me & asked me to come aboard with them. I did, am still with them
doing breaking news & traffic on the air as well as on twitter. I have also
added my weather reporting skills to the mix as well. I don't tell you all
this to brag. I tell you all this to tell you. I've been one hell of a lucky
guy. I tell you this to give you some tips on how to get your foot in the
door. You really have to create yourself a nitch that will show off your
skills. You're on the write track as far as writing a blog. That's a great
way to showcase your writing & reporting skills. So, make sure that you keep
that up. Yes, right now it isn't providing money, but, it is providing great
resumé material. I also tell you all that to tell you this. Hang in there.
Yes, radio, tv & the news paper business are very different than when I got
in them years ago. Good luck, hope that this will give you hope & strength
to carry on & if I can help further. Please feel free to write me off list.
###
Sean Paul
News & Traffic Reporter
Cumulus_Chattanooga