[Journalists] Finding a Job

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 21:37:55 UTC 2014

Jordan,

I have some ideas here for your job hunting. The first list is specific
internships. I comment on
a few of them based on my impression. Some pay hourly or give a stipend.
I do not know your specialty in writing or if you want to do more straight
writing stories or pr work. So I don't know which will interest you or
whether you'd qualify even though most say recent grads can apply. Websites
do not specify what they mean by recent grads. Given that many are unpaid, I
would guess if you called and asked about it, they would let you apply.

The second is possible ideas as I do not know if they have internships in
journalism or
communications. I just know they have internships in general.

1. Pathways program in the federal government. Click on
https://www.usajobs.gov/StudentsAndGrads

It says:

Internship Program positions are open to current students enrolled at least
half-time in high school/GED, vocational, technical, undergraduate, graduate
or professional programs.

Recent Graduates Program positions are open to individuals who completed a
qualifying educational program within the preceding 2 years. There are 2
exceptions:
##Certain veterans precluded from applying within the timeframe due to a
military service obligation have up to 6 years from completing their
education to apply; and
##Applicants who completed their educational program requirements after
December 27, 2010 will have a full 2 years of eligibility beginning on the
date the final regulations are effective July 10, 20

2. Workforce Recruitment program for students with disabilities in the
federal government; WRP accepts some recent grads, but I'm not sure how
recent you have to be. This is a nationwide program where they recruit at
campuses. You might have missed the sign up deadline, I'm not sure. They
accept all majors.

3. Partnership for Public service; has fellowships for a stipend and
includes communications fellows.
http://www.ourpublicservice.org/OPS/about/public_service_fellows_program.shtml

I've spoken with Alex about the program and he seems nice and open to
accomodations.
I'm not sure how they would do your second interview though as they like to
do it in person; maybe you'd have to travel to dc.

4. Folger theatre
http://www.folger.edu/Content/About-Us/Employment-and-Internships/#Intern
Accepts interns sometimes in their publications department; might want to
call them to ask about the summer.

I realize it says undergraduate students, but maybe if you call and explain
your situation, they would make an exception.

5. Carpenter's shelter; one of the largest shelters; communications and
design internship
www.carpentersshelter.org/about/careers-2

6. Foundation for the national archives
http://www.archivesfoundation.org/jobs/#commintern
They want someone who can design publications; so you may be at a
disadvantage, but worth trying focusing on your strengths.

7.  Atlantic media; has editorial fellowship
It says this online:

Atlantic Media offers high-achieving recent college graduates a unique
opportunity to participate in the Atlantic Media Fellowship Program. The
Program is a structured, year-long paid fellowship for top-tier talent
committed to editorial-side or business-side careers in media.  Each year we
look forward to our new class of Fellows, who add a fresh perspective and
new ideas to our company initiatives. As a digital-first company, we have
experienced tremendous growth as a result of emphasis on digital
initiatives, and our Fellows have been key contributors.

We are excited to begin recruiting Fellows for the year beginning July 2014.
Over twenty Atlantic Media Fellows will be placed in areas of the Company,
including but not limited to:
Client Services
Communications & PR
Creative & Design
Editorial
Events
Finance
Product Management
Research
Sales & Marketing
Web Development

8. Shakespeare theatre; pr/marketing internship.

http://www.shakespearetheatre.org/info/about/opportunities/internships-and-fellowships
It says
STC’s interns and fellows work alongside some of the most renowned artists
and professionals in the world to produce and support the mainstage season
at the nation’s premier classical theatre, located in Washington, D.C.
The public relations/marketing intern supports the daily operations of the
Marketing Department. The intern may assist in audience development,
subscription and single ticket marketing, press, publications, research and
special projects depending on the needs of the season. Special requirements
include strong written and verbal communication skills as well as strong
organizational skills.

9. The Writer's center; marketing and editorial internship

www.writer.org
commitment of 10 hours or more a week for 3 or 4 months.

10. National Wildlife Federation; reston, VA.
www.nwf.org
Accepts recent grads for internships.

My second list: these may have journalistic or communications internships.
1. Arena stage
2. Kennedy center
3. Warner Theatre
4. Private museums such as Holocaust or spy museum
5.  Gannette company which produces USA today; located in Mclean, VA I
think.
Hope you find a position, asap. Now a days, only a degree is not enough; you
need the experience.
HTH,
Ashley

9.