[Kansas-blind-students] April 25th´s KABS Conference Call Summary

Afton roy anne Harper aftonroyanneharper at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 03:49:24 UTC 2017

CORRECTION. This is April 25s conference call summary.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 22:24, Afton roy anne Harper<aftonroyanneharper at yahoo.com> wrote:   Here is the summary for March 14th’s Kansas Student division conference call.
Call started- 9:02 pmCall ended- 10:02 pmCall duration- 60 minutes

   - People on call

   - Afton Harper
   - John Mestemacher
   - Luke Schwinck
   - Ashley Nybert
   - Fabien Siffrin
   - Tom Anderson
   - Bethany Bennington
   - Anya Avramenko
   - Richard Traverzo
   - Emily Schlenker

   - President's report-Luke Schwinck

   - There was an outreach meeting at WSU and four people attended.
   - Luke went to Oklahoma convention and made some new connections with NFB members.

   - Vice President's report-Ashley Nybert

   - We decided that that the texts are going to be how we decide on changes on meeting times and the email list will also be utilized in order to remind everyone when the meetings will be held.

   - Treasurer’s Report-John Mestemacher

   -  Luke has information and receipts that needs to be transferred to John.

   - Secretary’s Report-Afton Harper

   - The meeting last week was cancelled since only two people were on call.
   - March 28h´s conference call ran 56 minutes. We had six people on call including Afton, John, Luke, Richard, Tom, Ashley, and Anya.

   - We are still continuing with our outreach work with upper education disability offices although there is not much else we can do this late in the semester.
   - Luke has Friends University and Wichita state. He figured out that Friends does not have any blind students to recruit. A few weeks ago he hosted the WSU outreach meeting and four people attended. He also offered to help reach out to K State for Afton while she catches up with her school work.
   - Anya also reached out to Emporia for Afton.  She did get ahold of someone to organize an outreach meeting with, but it might have to wait until next semester.
   - John has Johnson County Community College (JCCC) and Kansas School for the Blind (KSB). He left a voicemail with both of them.. John has heard back from KSB and now we must set up a time to have the outreach meeting. JCCC has made no indications that they are interested in our offer.
   - Tom reached out to KU and Butler and found out that both of them only have one blind student attending. The student that is attending KU is someone who we have already been in contact with, and the student at Butler is struggling in one of his classes so Tom called him but he didn’t answer and the student’s voicemail box was full so he couldn’t leave a message. Tom also offered to reach out to Washburn University since Alosha is studying to take the bar exam.
   - Emily said that she would reach out to Fort Hayes to start some outreach in the fal.
   - We have decided on a date for the KABS Annual Cookout at Lake Shawnee on May 20.
   - We are able to pay for student´s gas to the KABS cookout in order to ensure attendance.
   - If you need a flyer for the KABS Annual Cookout, contact Luke by email.

   - Other notes-

   - Our next conference call is on May 9th at 8pm Central Time. Although we have discussed changing the date since both Afton, John and Fabien would not be able to attend.
   - Everyone should look into joining an NFB division-There are many divisions including a Communities of Faith division, Blind Merchants division, Blind lawyers division, Guide Dog Users division and many more. For more information, go to
https://nfb.org/divisions-and-committees.
   - If you know someone is not receiving these emails, give them this link to subscribe to the mailing list
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/kansas-blind-students_nfbnet.org.
   - The next Johnson County chapter meetings are always the second Friday of each month at 6:30 pm. The address for Bethany Lutheran Church is
9101 Lamar Ave, Overland Park, KS 66207. - The Johnson County Chapter meetings are REQUIRED in order to get funding to go to National Convention.-We also still have nuts that need to be sold in order to build our treasury! Remember, $10 per pound.