[KeystoneChapter] Keystone: Meet the Blind Month 2018

Harriet Go goharriet00 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 03:29:00 UTC 2018

Hello Keystone members and friends,
What a great chapter meeting we had this morning! It was so nice to see everyone today.

So since October is Meet the Blind Month, I wanted to send an update on all of the wonderful opportunities we have coming up for promoting blindness awareness throughout our community.

First, we have a Meet the Blind Month activity at the Beneficial Bank on 16th and Chestnut streets in Philadelphia on 10/19/18 from 10:00 to 3:00. We will be talking to people and sharing information about our organization and what we do to help blind people live the independent lives we want. If you have already signed up to volunteer for this, thank you! If you are still available and would like to help out with this, it is not too late to sign up. We could use a few more people for the afternoon shift from 12:30 to 3:00. Just let me know if you are interested.

Second, at the upcoming city counsel meeting on Thursday October 18, 2018 at 10:00 a.m., the city will be presenting a resolution that October be named Blindness Awareness month in the city of Philadelphia. The meeting will be held in City Hall located at 15th and Market Streets in Philadelphia. What an exciting event! Please come join members of the Keystone chapter on this day to be a part of the making of history as the city recognizes the importance of Blind people in society. For more information about this and to confirm your attendance, please contact Hayward McCain directly at 215-454-9039 or at hmmcain27 at gmail.com.

Finally, our chapter is holding a Braille story hour for elementary school aged children at the Free Library of Philadelphia. We have two of these events set up.
The first one will take place at the Chestnut Hill branch located at 8711 Germantown Ave. Philadelphia, 19118 from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m on Tuesday October 23, 2018. The second one will be held at the Rittenhouse Square branch located at 1905 Locust Street, Philadelphia, 19103 from 4:00 to 5:00 on Wednesday October 24, 2018. if you are available to help out and support the Keystone chapter for either or both of these activities, we would love for you to join in on the fun! You do not have to be a Braille reader to help out, just have a positive attitude. After the Braille story, we will give the kids an opportunity to touch Braille and show them other blindness tools, as well as answer any of their curious questions about blindness. This is an excellent opportunity to really spread the positive message about the capabilities of blind people to the next generation of leaders and citizens who will be the ones to help make positive changes in our communities.

Also, a few reminders . . .
If you are able, please don't forget to bring a $25 gift card to be used as a door prize donation for our state convention coming up in November. Please bring the gift card with you to the state convention. If you are unable to attend the convention, please get in touch with me and we can make other arrangements to pick up the gift card.

Remember, are collecting money to fund our annual St. Lucy and Archbishop Ryan holiday gift drive. If you would like to help with this project, a donation of $20 can sponsor gifts for about 3 students. The students are from kindergarten through 8th grades. There are approximately 40 blind, visually impaired, and deaf students at the school. Please bring donations to the next chapter meeting on November 10, 2018.

For any questions, or if you need more information, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Thank you all so much for being a part of this great organization, for your time, dedication and your support!
Let's go build the federation!
Harriet