[Lpobc] FW: [New post] I will Never Ask to Hold your Baby

Eric Guillory eguillory at louisianacenter.org
Fri Dec 4 13:39:52 UTC 2015

Hi Parents et al,

While this list is meant for parents of blind children—whether the parent is blind or not—I thought I’d forward the following on. The Blind Beader is a Canadian woman whose posts I generally find to be quite perceptive. In this emotionally-charged installment, she discusses the many misperceptions the sighted public still often have about the capabilities of blind caregivers. While I have never been denied the privilege of holding a baby (at least no more than any other man is LOL), I know some people have faced this awkwardness and it is a heart-rending thing. I’m sending this along as an FYI, an interesting and sobering read, and in case any of you know anyone for whom this might be of help. I hope everyone enjoys a beautiful fall weekend!

EG

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166
Fax: 318-251-0109
Twitter: ericguillory
Skype: brllovingdad
www.louisianacenter.org<http://www.louisianacenter.org>

“Together, we are changing what it means to be blind.”