[Lpobc] FW: laptop specifications.

Eric Guillory eguillory at louisianacenter.org
Mon Jan 8 14:14:33 UTC 2018

Hi Parents and Teachers. Please see below for a message from LCB's Director of Technology-Jack Mendez. He composed it for another list, but, given the frequency of inquiries in this regard, I thought it would be helpful to pass along and am grateful to him for the posting. Wishing each of you a marvelous week!

Hello everyone.
Here are my recommendations for a good laptop for students, which should last quite some time.  Remember to encourage your schools to purchase extended warranties for laptops which they know will be moved around, tossed into bags, dropped on desks, have items dropped on top of them, etc.

  *   portable: 11- to 14-inch screen size, less than 3 pounds
  *   Durability matters: Spill-resistant keyboards, MIL-SPEC tested are pluses.
  *   Windows is best for productivity.
  *   Battery life: 8+ hours is ideal; 6+ hours is required.
  *   Keyboard: Look for responsive keys with deep travel.
  *   Recommended specs: Intel Core i5 CPU, 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD, 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
I have the HP Spectre x360 for instance, and it is a great machine.

Jack Mendez, Director of Technology
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166
Fax: 318-251-0109
Twitter: jmtech10
www.louisianacenter.org<http://www.louisianacenter.org>

"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind."