[Massachusetts-NFB] Blind Equality Achievement Month and YOU

sharawinton at gmail.com sharawinton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 23:58:30 UTC 2023

Hello NFB Family!!

I hope you all are doing fabulously!  Thank you for your work to raise
expectations every day by going to work, civil engagement, Fund-raising,
recreational activities and just being a blind person getting out there and
getting it done!

I have been thinking deeply about how well we are getting outside of our
typical circles and truly helping the public know who we are. We are
somewhat successful pitching  what we do to our friends and asking for
donations from other   Federation members. It often appears as though the
effort to get the word out beyond our own membership is much more limited.
Why is that? I believe it is because we could do more to stretch ourselves
and also be strategic about our communications. If you want someone to
support the work of the National Federation of the Blind, you have to be
able to articulate why it makes a difference to those who do not know us. If
you ask me to support the Federation, I already know the difference it
makes. If you ask your neighbor, it might take more effort and have a bigger
return.

As we close this year, I encourage each of you to reflect on our work to
discover if we could be doing better.  I believe we can!

Can you think of three people with whom you can reach who do not know the
Federation already, and invite them to join the movement by providing us
with a financial contribution? Can you articulate the value of the movement
in a way that moves them to action? I believe you can, and I am asking each
of us to ask three new people by the end of the month.

I would like to see each of you speak as easily about our movement as you
speak on your favorite restaurant  or your favorite pet. The more you talk
about us, the easier it will become.

 What we do is important and so are you. We need each of you to "Rise up"
and help us show the world that blindness does not have to be a tragedy

We are the transformative membership and advocacy organization of blind
people in the United States.
You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
between blind people and our dreams.

With Love, hope and determination,

Shara Winton

President, National Federation of the Blind of Massachusetts

617-304-0347