[MD-AtLarge] Meeting Reminder and Minutes

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Mon May 15 14:24:53 UTC 2017

Hello all,

The next meeting of the At Large chapter will be tomorrow, May 16.  We will
play the National Presidents message at 7:30.  The meeting will begin at
8:00 pm.  We will have election of officers.  We will also be discussing the
question: if blind people should serve on juries.  Our guest speaker will be
Stephen Booth.  Don't miss it!

For your convenience the call in number is 641 715-3272 and the access code
is 720125

Below are the minutes from the April meeting.  Please read.

At Large Chapter Meeting for April 2017

We did not play the presidential release due to technical difficulties.
Sharon read an article from the February Braille Monitor called "Challenges
of Aging" by Annie Schlesinger.  We discussed this article and checked to
see if everyone was getting the monitor in the format that they wished.
We also discussed the device Amazon Echo (Alexa)
Meeting started at 8 PM
Approximately 15 members in attendance
Sharon discussed the blindness credit for property tax
And the blind deduction that blind individuals are eligible for on their
income tax.

Danielle announced the Silver retreat which is June 6th through 9th for
individual new to blindness or has had little blindness training

Chris Daniels director of public relations for the National Federation of
the Blind
He has been involved  with the NFB for 30 years.

He discussed traveling as a blind person
He has traveled to England, Russia, Finland, Italy, and Scotland
He gave tips and pointers on traveling overseas.
Two of his tips were to keep track of important papers and mark your luggage
so you know yours.

Submitted by Danielle Earl

Meeting adjourned at 9:03 Pm

Sharon Maneki, President