[MD-AtLarge] Meeting Reminder and Minutes

Sharon Maneki nfbmdsm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 15:37:22 UTC 2021

Hello all,

The next meeting of the NFBMD at large chapter will be on Tuesday February
16. The National President's message begins at 7:30 followed by the meeting
at 8 to 9 PM.

Anil Lewis will be our special guest speaker tomorrow so don't miss his
thoughtful  presentation. Remember the call in number is 339-209-4083.
Don't forget to pay your dues. You can either send a check to Sharon at
9013 Nelson Way, Columbia 21045. If it is easier for you, go to
nfbmd.org/dues. A Celebration of Life service will be held for Dana Diaz on
Wednesday January 17 from 10:30-11:30 AM. Join the service by zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/6248138327?pwd=eTZlYUgwR3ZQVVl1dXBLSHcrbml1QT09

Meeting ID: 624 813 8327

Passcode: 63263

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,6248138327# <+13017158592,,6248138327%23> US (Washington D.C)
Read the minutes below for a reminder about our Washington and Annapolis
issues.

NFBMD At Large Chapter Meeting Minutes for January 19, 2021

The Presidential Release was started at 7:30 PM

The meeting was started at 8:00 PM by Marguerite Woods, President

Round Robin took place, and each member announced their favorite winter
soup.

Ronza gave the following General announcements for state of Maryland.

Washington Seminar

·       February 8th is The Great Gathering In at 5 PM

·       February 9th and 10 Maryland will be meeting with our Congressional
Delegation.

The four issues being discussed this year are:

·       the Access Technology Affordability Act.

·       the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act.

·       the Americans with Disabilities Voting Rights Act; and

·       the 21st Century Mobile Apps and Website Accessibility Act

If you have not Paid your 2021 dues, please pay them to Sharon by sending
her a check or use the dues portal found on the NFBMD website.

NFB and Maryland Scholarship program

The National Federation of the Blind and the National Federation of the
Blind of Maryland each administer a separate scholarship programs for
post-secondary students.  The deadline to apply for an NFB scholarship is
March 31, 2021, and the deadline to apply for an NFBMD Scholarship is April
15, 2021.

Ronza spoke about the allegations of sexual harassment and other misconduct
that has surfaced in the last month. She gave a presentation on consent.
She spoke about the code of conduct and mentioned that all board members
will be going through training.

A Day in Annapolis

·       This year it will be a week because all meetings will he held
virtually.

·       January 21st through January 28th

The three issues this year are:

·       The Accountability Act for Accessible K-12 Education

·       Desegregating voting based on disability.

·       Funding Center for Excellence in Nonvisual Access (CENA) to
education, commerce, and public information

Respectfully Submitted by Danielle Earl, Secretary

*Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy*
410-715-9596

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Everyday we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.