[Md-sligo] MetroAccess talking points

Debbie Brown 63characters at comcast.net
Wed Feb 22 03:59:12 UTC 2012

This was written by Philip Posner, who is vice chair of the WMATA Accessibility Advisory Committee.  I am including it because it lays out some of the figures.  Use it as a guide, but any personal examples should be your own.  As those of you who have been to Annapolis know, all testimony can sound the same after a while unless you have some personal examples.

Debbie

 SUGGESTED TALKING POINTS ON METRO ACCESS
1. Metro Access is an essential service to the disability community to carry out tasks required for Health, Work and living.
I can't understand why it costs $4 more to come home from dialysis than it did when I went to dialysis on Metro Access.
Why does Metro calculate my Metro Access fare as twice the fastest trip available (Rail), when the most comparable route would be by bus?
Why twice that fare, when the ADA allows it to be less than twice the comparable route fare?
If I am able to calculate what the cheapest fare would be for my Metro Access trip based upon the time of my reservation and I request that time for my trip, why can the reservations agent give me a time that will cause that trip to be up to $4 more expensive than the one I requested?
Why can't Metro calculate my Metro Access fare as the cheapest comparable fare (Bus/Rail) for any trip, so that I would always pay the same amount for the same trip?
Why can non-Metro Access customers be able to choose the cheapest/most efficient way to travel based upon bus fares and rail construction, but Metro Access customers are charged based upon an overly complex and often inaccurate computer program? Two examples would be a trip from Glenmont to Silver Spring or Eastern Market to Medical Center.
I am on a fixed income, low income, the current Metro fare calculations can cause my round trip on Metro Access to be $14 ($70/week is more than half of what I earn), how can I pay rent, buy food or medicine?
I often must chose between food, heat, or medicine or reduce the number of times I can afford to have dialysis.
3. The General Manager's Budget
Why does it show a 2% decrease in Rail revenues and a 5% increase in Bus revenues, while increasing Metro Access revenues 28%? Is this quity?
Why eliminate revenues from the Rail Peak of the Peak (POP) Fare and lose more than $11 million in revenue and increase Metro Access revenues from $6 million to $8million to make up the difference? We are told that eliminating the POP will simplify understanding rail fares for Rail Riders and Tourists. What about Metro Access riders whose fares vary over 300,000 variations and a $4 range during a 30 minute period.
Why increase the maximum fare to $7.45, at $7 we have to ration our healthcare and food?
Why not lower the maximum fare?
Where is the equity? Why does the General Manger's Budget say there will be no increase in Metro Access fares when they will rise as a result of increases proposed for Bus and Rail (2X those increase)? Where is the
equity?
Finally: These are the Board Principles that are NOT being followed by the General Manager's Proposed Budget
1.  Ensure and enhance customer satisfaction (Not Done) 2.Establish a mechanism to allow customers to determine their fares easily (Not Done) 3. Establish equitable fares and ensure compliance with federal regulations (Not Done) 4. Generate adequate revenue while maximizing ridership (Not Done, ridership is down while revenues are up).

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6903 (20120221) __________

http://www.eset.com