[Md-sligo] {Disarmed} FW:info UMD

Reyazuddin, Yasmin Yasmin.Reyazuddin at montgomerycountymd.gov
Tue Oct 14 19:39:45 UTC 2014

The following information may be of interest to some. Enjoy.
FYI - here is a project being conducted by the ischool's iDiversity
group:

https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef>
Share to Maximize

IMPACT

<javascript:void(0)>

<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet>

<javascript:void(0)>

$1,220

24%

Raised toward our $5,000 Goal

19 Donors

9

days left

Project ends on October 23, at 11:59 PM EDT

Project Owners

<javascript:void(0)>

  <javascript:void(0)>

<javascript:void(0)>

  <javascript:void(0)>

<javascript:void(0)>

  <javascript:void(0)>

<javascript:void(0)>

  <javascript:void(0)>

Give Now
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/donate>

*	Description
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef>
*	Updates (0)
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/updates/1>
*	Donor Wall
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/wall>

Equipping the Library Makerspace for All Abilities

What We're Going to Do: Makerspaces are designed to provide a dedicated
space for creating and tinkering with advanced technology, tools, and
equipment. McKeldin Library, UMD's central library, has an awesome new
maker space. We will collaborate with the library to ensure that their
existing maker space is accessible to students with disabilities on
campus. With guidance from individuals and groups who have experience
hosting accessible makerspace events, iDiversity will purchase
technology and other supplies to ensure that all students can use the
space. Some examples of items required include: a variety of input
devices for those unable to use a standard mouse for long periods,
screen reader technology that is compatible with 3D printers and
scanners, hand tools with rubberized grips for individuals with
dexterity problems. Funds will also be used to purchase supplies for
iDiversity to host makerspace events to provide students an opportunity
to become familiar with the accessibility features.

The Do it Yourself (DIY) approach of a makerspace provides valuable
learning opportunities. It is imperative that these opportunities be
made available to all UMD students regardless of their abilities.
Designing an accessible maker spaces includes re-imagining how the space
will provide physical, intellectual and social access to people with all
abilities. iDiversity has the expertise to design materials, acquire
appropriate technology, and host a series of makerspace events at
McKeldin for UMD students with disabilities. In alignment with the
University's commitment to uphold equity and inclusiveness, iSchool
students will participate in the design, development, and implementation
of this accessible maker space event.

Why This Matters: This project will make UMD a more inclusive campus. In
addition, it will give future information professionals first-hand
experience with accessibility and makerspaces. This experience will
equip participants to continue the work of accessibility wherever they
end up.

Who We Are: iDiversity is a student organization in the College of
Information Studies that promotes awareness of diversity, inclusivity,
and accessibility within the information professions. iDiversity strives
to create and maintain a dialogue between iSchool students, alumni, and
faculty, as well as information professionals outside the university, to
ensure that issues of diversity are addressed in practice, research, and
technology. We strive to meet this goal through a variety of events.
These events allow for an open dialogue and exchange between students,
faculty, alumni, and professionals in the field and provide students
with a hands-on experience promoting inclusive library services.

For more information about iDiversity, check out our website at:
idiversity.umd.edu <http://idiversity.umd.edu/> .

Gifts in support of the University of Maryland are accepted and managed
by the University of Maryland College Park Foundation, Inc., an
affiliated 501(c)(3) organization authorized by the Board of Regents.
Contributions to the University of Maryland are tax deductible as
allowed by law. Please see your tax advisor for details.

Levels

Choose a giving level

$5

Choose Your Own Adventure

Give what you can! We're honored by your support at every level

Contribute $5
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/donate?pkid
=541fb56209206526352927bd&amount=5>

$25

Tinkerer

These donations will help us purchase accessible low-tech supplies for
non-digital making.

Contribute $25
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/donate?pkid
=541fb51409206526352927bc&amount=25>

$50

Event Planner

Donations at this level with help us host accessible making events for
students.

Contribute $50
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/donate?pkid
=541fb1b514bdf76c77a79511&amount=50>

$100

Friend of Making

Donations at this level will allow us to purchase a variety of
accessibility tools; for example, alternative input devices for those
using the 3D printer who have dexterity issues.

Contribute $100
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/donate?pkid
=541fb14114bdf76c77a79510&amount=100>

$200

Maker

Those who support the project at this level will receive a tour of the
MakerSpace. We will contact you after the LaunchUMD campaign to arrange
details.

Contribute $200
<https://www.launch.umd.edu/project/54147e7e09206564a08078ef/donate?pkid
=541fac3f09206526352927b9&amount=200>