[Md-sligo] FW: February Adaptive Technology Events at the Center for Accessibility:

Brown, Debbie dabro at loc.gov
Fri Jan 30 14:48:25 UTC 2015

From: Timony, James (DCPL) [mailto:James.Timony at dc.gov]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:59 PM
To: Timony, James (DCPL)
Subject: February Adaptive Technology Events at the Center for Accessibility:

All events will be held in room 215, Center for Accessibility, at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library, 901 G Street, NW, Washignton DC, 20001. We are located between Metro Center and Gallery Place. There is no public parking at the library.
Please let us know at least 7 days in advance if you require American sign language interpretation or other accommodation.
The DC Public Library Accommodation Statement is here: http://www.dclibrary.org/node/2095
More information about our programs and services is available at: http://dclibrary.org/services/lbph

Tech Talk Tuesdays:

Tuesday, February 3rd, 6:30pm to 8:30pm - IOS and Android discussion and volunteer help session
Tuesday, February 10th, 6:30pm to 8:30pm - Professional Level Employment-related meetup
Tuesday, February 17th, 6:30pm to 8:30pm - Maker Meetup
Tuesday, February 24th, 6:30pm to 8:30pm - Game Night

Saturday Technology Training Sessions Job Club

Note, ALL Job Club meetings this spring WILL be ASL interpreted.

Saturday, February 7th, 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM - Adaptive and Social Technologies
Saturday, February 21st, 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM - What are my skills?  What do I like to do?

The Job Club topics are listed below:

Jan 17th - Introduction
Feb 7th - Adaptive and Social Technologies
Feb 21st - What are my skills?  What do I like to do?
March 7th - CANCELED
March 21st - Marketing strategies (Business Cards, Resume, Elevator pitch)
April 4th - Marketing strategies (Business Cards, Resume, Elevator pitch)
April 18th - Job searching - Agencies, Online, Cold Calls
May 2nd - Job searching - Agencies, Online, Cold Calls
May 16th - Interviews - Dress for success, mock interviews
June 6th - Interviews - Dress for success, mock interviews
June 20th - Make decisions, negotiate salary, continue the search
July 18th - Make decisions, negotiate salary, continue the search

The Spring 2015 series of STTS will be a Job Club that may be especially helpful to job seekers with disabilities, occurring from January 17 to July 18th on most of the first and third Saturdays. The first STTS of the season will be January 17th, 1pm to 4pm. It is a chance for everyone interested in participating in the Job Club to get together and share information.

The Job Club will be an opportunity for presentations, demonstrations and breakout sessions on the topic of employment and business incubation. Each meeting will start with a presentation or demonstration and group discussion on a pre-selected topic, listed below.  After group discussion there will be time for individual work in our Adaptive Workstation Lab, with one-on-one help as much as is possible, and facilitated break-out groups.

Tech Talk Tuesdays happen every Tuesday evening from 6:30pm to 8:30pm and will include the following recurring topics: 1st Tuesdays: iOs and Android discussion and volunteer help sessions.  2nd Tuesday: Professional-level, employment-related meetup, 3rd Tuesday: Maker Meetup - discussion of accessibility and the MLK library's new makerspaces, 4th Tuesday: Game Night including accessible chess, Uno, Bingo and other board and card games.

James Patrick Timony
Librarian, Adaptive Technology
DC Public Library
202-727-1335