[MD-Sligo] Sligo Creek Book Club - announcement of upcoming books we will discuss!

Jeff Baer jabaer811 at outlook.com
Sun Aug 6 01:55:11 UTC 2023

We had a great book club meeting today and the group chose its next two books to discuss. We also decided to have a special meeting soon to discuss yet a third book!
First, regarding that special meeting: So many book club members enjoyed "The Five Wishes of Mister Murray McBride" that they have already read its sequel. We will soon hold a special "spin-off" book club discussion to cover "The Final Wish of Mr. Murray McBride" by Joe Siple. BARD/NLS info: DB#104365. Duration = 8 hours and 3 minutes. Please send me an e-mail at jabaer811 at outlook.com or call me at 410-499-0143 if you have already read that book or will read it very soon, and wish to be included in that "spin-off conversation", hopefully to happen in the next few weeks, perhaps before the end of the month.

Then, we will be reading and discussing "Hollow Fires" by Samira Ahmed, BARD ID = DB108627. Duration = 10 hours and 10 minutes.
It is also available via Amazon's Audible subscription service in addition to BARD/ NLS.
Good Read Description: "A powerful, gripping Young Adult fiction novel about the insidious nature of racism, the terrible costs of unearthing hidden truths, and the undeniable power of hope. Safiya Mirza dreams of becoming a journalist. And one thing she’s learned as editor of her school newspaper is that a journalist’s job is to find the facts and not let personal biases affect the story. But all that changes the day she finds the body of a murdered boy.
Jawad Ali was fourteen years old when he built a cosplay jetpack that a teacher mistook for a bomb. A jetpack that got him arrested, labeled a terrorist—and eventually killed. But he’s more than a dead body, and more than “Bomb Boy.” He was a person with a life worth remembering.
Driven by Jawad’s haunting voice guiding her throughout her investigation, Safiya seeks to tell the whole truth about the murdered boy and those who killed him because of their hate-based beliefs.
This gripping and powerful book uses an innovative format and lyrical prose to expose the evil that exists in front of us, and the silent complicity of the privileged who create alternative facts to bend the truth to their liking."

I anticipate we will meet to discuss "Hollow Fires" sometime in September, or early October. Details on meeting date and time to follow,  but please start reading "Hollow Fires" if you want to join that discussion!
After Hollow Fires, we will be reading and discussing "The Restaurant", by Pamela M. Kelley. BARD/NLS info: DB#101174, Duration = 5 hours and 33 minutes. Yes, available via Amazon's Audible subscription service, in addition to BARD/NLS.
Good Reads Description: "Three sisters. An inherited Nantucket restaurant. One year before they can sell. Mandy, Emma and Jill are as close as three sisters who live hundreds of miles apart can be. They grew up together on Nantucket, but Mandy is the only one that stayed.
Jill lives a glamorous life in Manhattan as a co-owner of a successful executive search firm. Never married, she is in her mid-thirties and lives in a stunning, corner condo with breathtaking views of the city and Hudson river. Everyone thinks there's something going on with her partner, Nick, because as a workaholic, she spends more time with him than anyone else. But there's never been anything but friendship between them and Nick loves being a bachelor in NYC.
Emma lives in Arizona and is an elementary school teacher and aspiring photographer. She met her college professor husband, Peter, in grad school and they've been married for over fifteen years. In recent years, she's noticed that Peter has grown distant. But when he shares a surprising secret, she doesn't see it coming and her world is turned upside down.
Mandy followed her high school boyfriend, Cory to Boston College, and after graduation, they married and Cory joined a successful hedge fund in Boston, while Mandy stayed home and had two children, Blake and Brooke. They moved home to Nantucket when Cory opened a competing hedge fund. Now that the children are older, Mandy is eager to do more than coordinate local charity events. But Cory doesn't want her to work. He thinks it doesn't reflect well on him and appearances are everything to Cory. Though when Mandy finds a second cell phone in his gym bag, she begins to question what is really going on.
When their beloved grandmother, Ethel Ferguson passes peacefully in her sleep a week before her ninety-ninth birthday, she leaves them quite a surprise. In addition to her Nantucket home, they learn that she was the silent owner of Mimi's Place, one of Nantucket's most popular year-round restaurants.
There is of course, a catch--she left the restaurant equally to Mandy, Emma, and Jill--and also to Paul, the restaurant chef for the past fifteen years.
And before they can sell, all three girls must work at the restaurant for one year--or their shares of the restaurant will go to Paul. The same Paul that broke one of their hearts many years ago."

Thank you, and I am already looking forward to our next book club call.  :-)
-Jeff Baer
Tel: (410)499-0143 (Cell)