[MDABS] In need of a braillewriter.

Bridges Help Desk helpdesk at imagemd.org
Thu Feb 3 21:06:56 UTC 2022

Sharon,

We saw your post on MDABS, and it seems like you may have a solution.
Nevertheless, we reach out to let you know about another possible source:
Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)/ Office for Blindness and Visual
Services (OBVS).

If you have a DORS (OBVS) case open, you might consider asking for them to
provide a Perkins Brailler for you. DORS/OBVS provide vocational
rehabilitation services under federal guidelines. A portion of these
guidelines defines the “Scope of vocational rehabilitation services for
individuals with disabilities” as including the provision of
“rehabilitation technology.” [Citation is 34 CFR section 361.48(b)(17)].
“Rehabilitation technology” includes assistive technology, such as Perkins
Braillers.

You have articulated very well how you need the Perkins Brailler
(rehabilitation technology) to help you prepare for and pass entrance exams
into graduate school so that you may have the degrees needed to become
employed in your chosen profession (achieve your vocational goal). If you
chose to do so, it would be quite reasonable for you to contact your DORS
counselor and request the Perkins Brailler as part of your program. You
might need to amend your IPE, but that should not be a big deal.

Please know that we at the Free Bridges Transition Helpdesk are ready,
willing, and eager to help you and any other blind Marylander with this or
any other transition-related need. Please contact the Free Helpdesk for
Maryland Blind/Low Vision Transition Students, Families, Educators, and
Community Allies anytime:

·       Accessible web form (bit.ly/304EzDs)

·       Text: Send to: (410) 305-9199

·       Email: Helpdesk at imagemd.org

·       Website: https://imagemd.org/bridges-help-desk

·       Voice mail: Call (443) 320-4003, leave a voice mail message, and we
will return your call

·       Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Bridges4MarylandBlindLowVisionTransition

o   Direct Facebook message to:
m.me/Bridges4MarylandBlindLowVisionTransition

This unique project is being coordinated through The IMAGE Center of
Maryland, a center for independent living in Towson, and it is funded by a
grant from the Maryland Department of Education Division of Special
Education/Early Intervention Services.

--

*Free Helpdesk for Maryland Blind/Low Vision Transition Students, Families,
Educators, and Community Allies *

Bridges Project: Bridging the College Completion Gap for Blind/Low Vision
Students in Maryland

*Check out our website <https://imagemd.org/bridges-help-desk>*

*Send us an email <Helpdesk at imagemd.org>*

*Text*: Send to *(410) 305-9199*

*Voice mail: (443) 320-4003 [*leave a detailed message and we will return
your call]

*Contact us through our accessible web form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfucdh9JELV4Q8UkANgjStQUSwJcWys-JjWtcQ4wc8QWkk7Ew/viewform>*

*Like our Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/Bridges4MarylandBlindLowVisionTransition> *

Follow us on Twitter @BridgesHelpdesk <https://twitter.com/BridgesHelpdesk>