[MDABS] A day of celebrations

Qualik Ford QSFord at outlook.com
Sun Jun 19 15:35:58 UTC 2022

Good morning all,
I’d  like to start by saying happy Father’sDay to all the amazing fathers in our great affiliate. We love you and appreciate all of Your hard work and dedication to your children. Your efforts have definitely not been missed. I for one am overjoyed to say happy Father’sDay to all of you!
Of course this is an momentous  day in Black history as well,  Juneteenth, today slavery truly came to an end. As a nation we continue to make great strides toward a future of equality. And this holiday is a way to look back on some of our successes. Please harness the positive nature of such a momentous occasion to fuel  your continued efforts to not only support our movement as the nations blind, but to push our nations movement for equity and Inclusion forward.
Here is an excerpt from a New York Times article about Juneteenth. Once again happy holidays to all

Juneteenth (short for “June Nineteenth”) marks the day when federal troops arrived in Galveston<https://www.history.com/topics/1900-galveston-hurricane>, Texas<https://www.history.com/topics/us-states/texas> in 1865 to take control of the state and ensure that all enslaved people be freed. The troops’ arrival came a full two and a half years after the signing<https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lincoln-signs-emancipation-proclamation> of the Emancipation Proclamation<https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/emancipation-proclamation>. Juneteenth honors the end to slavery in the United States and is considered the longest-running African American holiday. On June 17, 2021, it officially became a federal holiday<https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/06/18/a-proclamation-on-juneteenth-day-of-observance-2021/>.

Confederate General Robert E. Lee<https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/robert-e-lee>had surrendered at Appomattox Court House<https://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/appomattox-court-house> two months earlier in Virginia, but slavery had remained relatively unaffected in Texas—until U.S. General Gordon Granger stood on Texas soil and read General Orders No. 3: “The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free.”

Qualik Ford
Email: qsford at outlook.com
Phone number: 301-312-9813
National Federation Of The Blind Of Maryland affiliate board member
Maryland Association of blind students president
Maryland affiliate Diversity equity and inclusion committee cochair
National Association of Blind students diversity equity and inclusion committee cochair
Maryland affiliate Sports and recreation cochair
Blind industries and services of Maryland rehabilitation instructor