[Mdpobc] O/M cane issues at school

L W mama2sally at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 00:33:55 UTC 2009

Hi all
Joli’s mobility teacher has her learning the diagonal technique.  I asked Joli to show me how the O/M  has her using the cane.  It looks like she holds the cane in her right hand.  It is crossed in front of her left hip with the tip maintaining constant contact with the ground.  I asked her what happens if there was an obstacle on her other side and she said she can switch hands.  This technique seems really awkward to me as it looks like she can’t completely clear the space ahead of her without switching hands, which is tricky if she's carrying anything.  I was wondering if the NFB has any thoughts on this technique.  Joli got her cane from the NFB and has been using the touch tap, step, tap, step technique they showed us at the NFB.  Her O/M teacher says that the NFB touch tap technique is only for outdoor use.  She didn’t even want Joli using her cane indoors until she had learned the diagonal technique.   So far after much debate we
 have an understanding that Joli can use the touch tap technique until she learns the diagonal technique.  The O/M instructor wants me to provide a letter from the NFB saying the touch tap technique is appropriate for indoor travel in a familiar environment.  I am not sure I want Joli using the diagonal technique, and I am wondering how the NFB feels about this technique.
Thanks for any advice,
Lauren Wibbe