[Mdpobc] O/M cane issues at school

The Jacobs' Family bandbjacobs at verizon.net
Sat Oct 24 01:42:49 UTC 2009

Frankly, I would tell the woman to send that diagonal technique right back where she got it from.  Sounds downright hazardous to me!!  You were right.  How would one figure out how to protect the other side when the cane is diagonally across on one side, rather than moving from side to side?  I've been using my cane with the "touch-and-tap technique you were talking about for 40 plus years.  And, guess what?  I'm still alive to tell you about it!  Isn't that amazing?  They tried that song-and-dance with my daughter about a month ago and I stopped that woman dead in her tracks too.  I told her I wanted my daughter taught something that works!!!  Nothing more, nothing less!!  After all, that's what they're paid to do???  Oh Glory!!  My husband and I taught our blind, autistic son to tap from the very beginning.  Even he has figured out why we tap our canes.  He hears the sound waves being generated off objects from the tapping.  He actually finds that technique extremely helpful.  David will be nine in January.  He's become quite a decent little cane traveler.  When I first introduced him to the cane, I allowed him to take it around the house, touching and tapping everything in the house for about two weeks to get him used to the idea.  It clicked with him almost immediately--pardon the pun.  Didn't take long for him to catch on to the value of that one.  We practiced navigation of steps and all kinds of things in our house.  It's taken him a bit longer not to be intimidated by the out-of-doors.  But he's coming along there too.  He actually becomes more inhibited and afraid if he doesn't have it now.  He can't stand it.  Gotta have it!!Have a great weekend

Bernie Jacobs