[MDPOBC] Three items of interest

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissaariccobono at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 15:37:26 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

Here are three items of possible interest. Enjoy.

Braille Readers Are Leaders-A Contest for Children and Adults:

Encourage more Braille, improve reading skills, and win prizes. The National
Federation of the Blind is partnering with the American Action Fund for
Blind Children and Adults to present the 2020-2021 Braille Readers Are
Leaders contest to encourage Braille literacy and reading for pleasure.
Children and adults across the United States compete against their
same-grade peers to read the most Braille pages between December 1, 2020,
through January 18, 2021. Registration is open now. Learn more about the
Braille Readers Are Leaders
<https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders>  contest.

It's that Time of Year-Who Loves Santa Letters?:

Every year Santa Claus turns the staff at the National Federation of the
Blind into his honorary elves to help him send letters and activities in
Braille to young children (those under the age of ten) across the United
States. Between November 9 and December 16, parents can submit a request for
a letter at http://www.nfb.org/santa-letters. The form can also be printed
and faxed to 410-685-2340 or emailed to communityrelations at nfb.org
<mailto:communityrelations at nfb.org> . Beginning Monday, November 30, the
Braille letters from Santa will start going out to children. The Braille
letter will be accompanied by a print copy as well and some other fun
holiday activities. The deadline for letter requests is December 16. Learn
more about Santa Letters
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-let
ters> .

Independence Market Gift Certificates:

During the November 1 Presidential Release Live call, a question came up as
to whether the Independence Market offers gift certificates, and I am happy
to report that it does. Additionally, with the holiday season approaching,
I'm sure you might like to purchase that special gift from the Independence
Market for a family member, friend, neighbor, or loved one. If you're
undecided as to what to buy them, why not consider one of our Independence
Market gift certificates? Gift certificates are available for purchase in
$25, $50, $75, or $100 increments. They're valid for one year after
purchase.

To learn more about gift certificates, please email the Independence Market
at independencemarket at nfb.org <mailto:independencemarket at nfb.org>  or call
us at 410-659-9314, extension 2216.