[MDPOBC] NFB STEM4U Program

Sharon Maneki nfbmdsm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 20:35:14 UTC 2020

Hello,
I am sending this on behalf of Lizzie Muhammad. It is a great program and I
hope you will participate.

NFB STEM2U

The National Federation of the Blind works to improve opportunities for
blind students in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and
mathematics. In NFB STEM2U, we are bringing what we have learned directly
to students and families in their homes. Students of varying ages in
fifteen states across the country will receive instruction from NFB
personnel and expert instructors via the Zoom platform.
Dates and Location

There is one opportunity to attend this program.

   - November 14, 2020 from 2 to 5 p.m. ET

Who Should Attend

This program is designed for blind and low-vision students in grades three
to high school level who:

   - Are interested in STEM
   - Are unsure about STEM but interested in a fun program specific to
   blind students
   - Are in need of hands-on, nonvisual skills training opportunities from
   blind role models

Agenda

There will be two tracks for the program based on grade and
experience—basic and advanced. Each student registered for the 2020 NFB
STEM2U program will be sent a box of materials containing everything they
need to completely engage with the lesson. After the lesson, state
coordinators will connect with the students for additional interaction,
in-depth discussion, and an exploration of additional avenues for STEM
enrichment and learning. *Full agenda coming soon!*
Registration

Please use our online application form
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/education/nfb-stem2u/nfb-stem2u-application>
to register for NFB STEM2U.
Accommodations

This program is designed to include Braille, accessible tools, and digital
content. If additional accommodations are needed, please email stem at nfb.org.
Support

Due to the generous donation from General Motors, blind students across the
country will learn fundamental nonvisual tools and techniques they can use
to pursue further education and careers in STEM. The members of the NFB are
extremely grateful for this gift from GM, which will truly help blind
students live the lives they want.
*Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy*

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Everyday we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.