[MDPOBC] Update on Electronic Ballot Return Bill

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Wed Apr 10 13:35:53 UTC 2024

Federation Family,

Unfortunately, there isn't good news from the Maryland General Assembly
concerning our Electronic Ballot Return bill, HB0775 / SB0802.  To the
bafflement of everyone, the House Ways and Means Committee failed to take
any action on this bill, even though the NFB of Maryland and the Save Our
Votes Coalition came to an agreement on a way forward.

Essentially, this was originally a bill to implement internet-based return
of vote-by mail ballots for voters with disabilities.  We later amended the
bill to replace the internet return method with a physical return of an
electronic ballot using physical media to save the electronic ballot, such
as a flash drive or SD card.  Then, after working with and coming to an
agreement with the Save Our Votes Coalition, including League of Women
Voters, Brennan Center, and others, we agreed that this year's bill would be
come an interim study of feasibility, accessibility, and security features
and solutions for the physical return of an electronic ballot method.
Though the Ways and Means Committee Vice Chair indicated she would move this
study, she did not, and the bill died with no action on Monday.

We are of course very frustrated, but we're not done.  We will work in the
interim with our friends in the Maryland Senate and the Save Our Votes
Coalition - and anyone else interested in partnering with us - to develop
legislation to ensure that every Marylander who is blind, low vision, or
otherwise print disabled, to be able to privately, independently, and
accessibly vote a by mail ballot.

It is incredibly meaningful that the Save Our Votes Coalition and NFBMD have
come together to jointly problem-solve, rather than sitting on opposite
sides of the issue blocking each other.  This, at least, is a tremendous win
for all of us.

Thanks for all you do - even though we didn't win this particular battle,
we're still very much a major player in the war and won't stop until we win
it.

Ronza

Ronza Othman, President

Pronouns: she, her, hers