[Mn-at-large] Light Rail Platforms Input

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue May 17 20:38:45 UTC 2016

This came from Sam Fischer at SSB, who was contacted by Metro Transit.

Good Morning!
Metro Transit asked if we would send an email to
you in hopes you could help them with platform
improvements for the train.  If you could please
answer the questions below and send your
(<mailto:Kimberly.zlimen at metrotrasit.org>Kimberly.zlimen at metrotrasit.org)
and CC Joseph Kapper
(<mailto:jkapper at srfconsulting.org>jkapper at srfconsulting.org).
To read the original email request, I've included
it at the very end of this email (after my signature block).
•                    What types of information do
you use to assist you in navigating the
platforms? (Examples: railings, tactile pavers at
crossings, sounds, platform announcements, etc.)
•                    What types of information do
you use to board/exit trains? (Examples:
railings, tactile pavers at crossings, sounds, platform announcements, etc.)
•                    Are there any elements of
light rail platforms and station areas that are
particularly helpful in using and navigating
to/from platforms and light rail vehicles? If so,
what are they?  (To give you some examples, we
have heard that the metal plate indicating “Paid
Fare Zone” at the ends of the Green Line
platforms is a helpful landmark. Also, that
having a Go To card validator consistently at the
platform ends makes it easy to locate this machine).
•                    Are there any elements of
light rail platforms and station areas that
present challenges in using and navigating
to/from platforms and light rail vehicles? If so,
what are they?  (Example: have trouble locating a
Go To card validator, no pedestrian push buttons
to cross streets at platform landings).
•                    Are there ways in which the
trains operate that are helpful to you as a user?
(Example: announcements of station stops,
announcements of on which track trains are
approaching, automatic door opening during warmer months).
•                    Are there ways in which the
trains operate that present challenges to you as
a user? (Example: vehicle doors not automatically
opening in the winter, announcements not
providing useful information at the right time).
•                    If a GPS-based application
could be applied to geo-locate certain platform
elements, what platform elements would be the
most important to locate? (Examples: ticket
vending machines, Go To card validators, trash cans, etc.)
•                    If asked would you be
willing to participate in a future planning
meeting with Metro Transit to help with platform improvements?
I tried to think of everyone in the office who
rode the train and of those who visit us
regularly, but if there is anyone else you know
that is blind, low vision or DeafBlind and rides
the train, please feel free to forward this to
them; I'm sure Metro Transit would appreciate as much input as possible.
Thanks!

Samantha Fischer | Administrative Coordinator
Department of Employment and Economic Development
State Services for the Blind
2200 University Ave West Suite 240, St. Paul, MN 55114
Direct: 651-539-2271
<http://mn.gov/deed>Web |
<http://twitter.com/mndeed>Twitter | <http://facebook.com/mndeed>Facebook
<http://mn.gov/deed/whymn>
Minnesota: Number 1 State for Business, CNBC, 2015