[Mn-at-large] FW: [Nfbmn-news] Legislative news

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Mon May 23 20:44:10 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMN-News [mailto:nfbmn-news-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 8:47 AM
To: nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbmn-news] Legislative news

Dear Minnesota Federationists,

I am very pleased to be able to let you know that despite a rocky ending to this legislative session in many respects, there is good news to share  regarding funding for services to seniors through Minnesota State Services for the blind.  Our well-thought-out  positioning,  hard work, focus, coordination, and active participation of many Federationists has paid off.  In the supplemental finance bill passed by the legislature,  funding has been added  to the appropriation for SSB, specifically  designated for services to seniors.  There will be one million for the 2017  biennium, and $500,000 for each year going forward.  It hasn't yet been signed by the governor, and when it is, we will, as we always do, make our input known about the  best ways to ensure that seniors get the needed quality training and resources. However, we can be proud of the results we have achieved through our organization and persistence, to address a very real and urgent problem that was not getting solved in other ways. Congratulations to all.

Sent from my iPhone