[Mn-at-large] Urgent Legislative Action Needed

president--- via NFBMN-News nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org
Sat Dec 2 04:33:21 UTC 2017

Greetings, fellow Federationists,
The senate plans to take up a vote on the Tax
Cuts and Jobs Act as early as today, so it’s
critical we call our senators to express our
opposition to the bill in its current form.
You can <https://nfb.org/blog/article/3408>get an
in-depth look at the problem here, but the short
version is that the deficit is projected to rise
quickly enough that it will trigger cuts to rehab and IDEA funding.
What we need:
We need absolutely everyone to call the capital
switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask them to
connect you to senators Klobuchar and Franken.
Ask them to ensure that the senate’s tax bill
will not trigger mandatory spending cuts that
will eliminate or reduce vocational
rehabilitation and IDEA funding. This is
extremely time-sensitive, so please­please­do it today.
One of the most interesting things about living
in Minnesota is that both of our senators, being
democrats, are likely to vote no on this tax
legislation automatically. While that would solve
our problem, we want to be able to influence the
bill to prevent rehab and IDEA cuts even if it
passes. Right now the senate is going into
debate, meaning that language can be added to and
subtracted from the legislation during this
period. This means that senators Klobuchar and
Franken still have the ability to influence the
bill and include provisions to help protect our
funding. Even in a state with two democratic senators, your calls still matter.
For those new to calling your senators, or for
those looking for ideas, try this script as a jumping off point.
“My name is <name> with the National Federation
of the Blind of Minnesota, and I’m calling to ask
the senator to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
in its current form. This bill will remove
opportunities for education and employment for
blind people. Please vote no, or introduce
language to avoid triggering mandatory spending
cuts that will eliminate or reduce vocational rehabilitation and IDEA funding.”
After you have made your calls, I would love an
email from you letting me know you have done so.
This helps us keep a tally of how many contacts we have made.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate
to email me at
<mailto:president at nfbmn.org>president at nfbmn.org
or call/text me at (402) 730-4092.
Thanks in advance for your awesome work!
Warmly,

Ryan Strunk, President
National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota
president at nfbmn.org
www.nfb.org
www.nfbmn.org
Live the life you want.