[Mn-at-large] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 12/04/ 2017

President, National Federation of the Blind OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org
Tue Dec 5 03:27:49 UTC 2017

President's Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The spirit of the holidays is being felt at our
national headquarters. During the past week our
staff decorated for the season, making the place
look spectacular—as always. Last Thursday we
heldd a dinner for our partners and supporters
that included hot cider, making the fourth floor
smell just like the best of your family holiday
dinners. Before our supporter’s dinner, I and
other Federation leaders spent time with some of
our key partners discussing what we might do
together in 2018. Those meetings were taking
place as the earthquake centered in Delaware
rolled through the building. Some of you have
asked if we were impacted. The fact that some in
the building felt the quake and others were
surprised that it happened is an indication that
the quake was only a minor event in Baltimore.
During our dinner Thursday night we showed our
thank you video, which can be found at
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O41xcFDMCZk&feature=youtu.be>this
page. This is a great link for you to share with
those in your local affiliate who have
contributed to the work of our organization this year.

On Friday and Saturday, the Board of Directors of
the National Federation of the Blind met to
review our progress and make plans for the next
year. This jam-packed meeting included the
Federation Thanksgiving—a gathering where our
leaders and our staff come together to share food
and fellowship. On Friday, over two hundred
letters were shipped out as part of our
partnership with Santa Claus to provide Braille
letters from the jolly old fella. This is only
the first shipment of letters—there is still a
little time to get requests in. This partnership
might be the reason that the guy in the red suit
left some packages for our young participants in the Federation Thanksgiving.

The year is not yet over. We have a lot of work
to do before the holidays come. This includes
some advocacy in Washington, DC. Please continue
to keep up on the notes that are coming to you
and help to amplify our calls for action. Those
affiliate presidents who registered to come to
the retreat on January 27-28 in Baltimore will
receive a survey in the next twenty-four hours.
Please complete this survey before the week is
over. If you do not receive the link, it means
that we did not receive notice that you are coming.

Critical Actions This Week:

Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Upcoming Action:
The Senate passed their version of the Tax Cuts
and Jobs Act early Saturday morning. The bill
will go to conference committee today, and we
will be distributing the list of conference
committee members later today or tomorrow. The
Senate version maintains the additional standard
deduction for the blind and the House version
does not. The difference means that this will be
one of the items that needs to be resolved in
conference. The National Federation of the Blind
remains concerned about the possibility that the
bill could trigger “PAYGO” rules that could
result in dramatic cuts to vocational
rehabilitation and IDEA funding. Read our
<https://nfb.org/organization-says-senate-tax-bill-disastrous-education-employment-blind-americans>press
release from last week to learn more about this
item. We will need to flood the conference
committee with our messaging so keep a lookout for our next legislative alert.

News:

December Presidential Release:
Presidential Release #467 is now available. You
can find it, and all the Presidential Releases,
on <https://nfb.org/presidential-releases>this
page of the NFB website. President Riccobono
records the release each month to share
Federation news with local chapters. Please
remind chapter leaders to share it at chapter meetings.

Donor Appreciation Video:
We have released a new video to share with our
supporters to thank them for their generosity and
let them know what their contributions have
helped us accomplish in 2017. The video is now on
our home page and also on
<https://youtu.be/O41xcFDMCZk>YouTube. Please
share it with donors in your state and local area.

Website Maintenance:
The National Federation of the Blind website will
be down for maintenance starting the evening of
Wednesday, December 6, and is expected to be back
online by 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, December 7.

Updated NFB Connect App:
If you haven’t already, visit the iTunes App
Store and download the updated NFB Connect app.
Among other performance improvements and
enhancements, you will now receive notifications
when new content is posted to the Voice of the
Nation’s Blind Blog and be able to access our
Twitter feed right from the app. You can download
the improved NFB Connect app by copying and
pasting this link into Safari on your iOS device:
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nfb-connect/id968434124?mt=8>https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nfb-connect/id968434124?mt=8.
Also, please give us feedback about the app so
that we can continue to make improvements and add new features.

DYDIC Screenings:
Thank you to the twenty-one affiliates who have
screened the film Do You Dream in Color in their
communities during Meet the Blind Month and
beyond. This film is a powerful way to amplify
our messages about the ability of blind people to
live the lives we want, and the importance of
equal educational access and opportunities for
blind students. During October and the early part
of November, screenings took place in Alabama,
Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia,
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oklahoma,
South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia,
Washington, and West Virginia. The reports we
have received indicate that many positive
discussions with students, parents, educators,
community leaders, and the general public have
been sparked by this film. In addition, we have
heard that blind people have been inspired to
pursue their own dreams that push the boundaries
of traditional expectations. To learn more about
the film, visit <http://www.doyoudreamincolor.com>www.doyoudreamincolor.com.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

    * January 29, 2018: Great Gathering-In
    * January 28-February 1, 2018:
<https://nfb.org/washington-seminar>Washington Seminar
    * March 31, 2018: Deadline for scholarship
applications, <http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>www.nfb.org/scholarships
    * March 22-23, 2018: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
    * April 15, 2018: Deadline for
<https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>2018 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award competition
    * July 3-8, 2018: National Federation of the
Blind National Convention, Orlando, Florida

The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines
you or your future. Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind
people and our dreams. You can live the life you
want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 |
<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>officeofthepresident at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a
community of members and friends who believe in
the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind.
Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.