[Mn-at-large] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 09/05/2017

David B Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Sep 6 02:49:11 UTC 2017

  President’s Notebook

  National Federation of the Blind

  Mark A. Riccobono

  officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

  (410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The Federation fall convention season is now in full swing. Starting
with this past weekend, our affiliates are having conventions every
weekend through the weekend before Thanksgiving. This is always a great
period of energy and growth due to the heavy level of events. I am
anticipating the reports of the great activities happening across the
country.

We have just completed the Breaking Blind (85th) Leadership Seminar.
Remember that I am always accepting recommendations from Federation
leaders regarding potential people that I should consider inviting to
the seminar. There will be another next spring, so keep those
recommendations coming.

Today I am pleased to say that we finally have the rules related to the
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act. Congratulations and thank you to each
of you who have put energy into this over the past decade. You can read
the full blurb below. We will continue our relationship with the
Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers to advance this and other issues in
the vehicle space.

    Critical Item:

New Cardtronics Testing Incentive:
As you know, the Cardtronics testing started on September 1. The first
ten affiliates that successfully complete their tests will be given a
redemption code for one copy of KNFB Reader for Windows that they can
use as a door prize at an upcoming convention. Thank you for mobilizing
the members to action for this important work.

    News:

National Federation of the Blind Hurricane Harvey Relief Project:
During the past week, many members of the National Federation of the
Blind have reached out with offers of support for blind individuals
impacted by Hurricane Harvey. We have been asking that you hold those
offers of support until we could coordinate with our Texas affiliate,
determine what needs exist, and develop a plan that most effectively
marshals resources to meet the needs of blind people in impacted
communities. We are now prepared to mobilize the National Federation of
the Blind’s Hurricane Harvey Relief Project. Below are the things you
need to know and ways that you can best help.

·The National Federation of the Blind Hurricane Harvey Relief Project
will be managed by Norma Crosby, president of the National Federation of
the Blind of Texas. Norma will be assisted by our national staff as needed.

·How you can help:

oDonate to our Harvey Relief Fund which we commit to only using for
Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. We will accept:

§Gift cards to major retailers, because they are easier to share than
supplies. We encourage gift cards from Target, Walmart, Academy Sports
and Outdoors, Amazon, and Bed Bath and Beyond.

§Transportation credits/gift cards for Uber and Lyft to provide
transportation assistance.

§Financial contributions either
online<http://www.nfbtx.org/donate.php>(be sure to write “Harvey Relief
Fund” in the note field) or write a check to the National Federation of
the Blind of Texas with “Harvey Relief Fund” in the memo line.

oAdopt a family: If you would like us to match your affiliate/chapter
with a specific family that you can help, please reach out to Norma Crosby.

oHelp us find families that include blind individuals by sharing the
following information via email or on social media:

§The National Federation of the Blind wants to help! If you, or a blind
person you know, has been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, please reach out
to the National Federation of the Blind for support from our Hurricane
Harvey Relief Project. Call (281) 968-7733, email
ncrosby at nfbtx.org<mailto:ncrosby at nfbtx.org>, or send us a message on our
Facebook page.

§Here is a sample tweet you can cut and paste into Twitter:

If a blind person you know has been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, email
the NFB Hurricane Harvey Relief Project
ncrosby at nfbtx.org<mailto:ncrosby at nfbtx.org>or DM @NFB_Voice.

Send all donations to the NFB Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund to National
Federation of the Blind of Texas, 1600 E. Highway 6, Ste. 215, Alvin, TX
77511-2595.

We appreciate the tremendous concern and offers of support being offered
by members and friends of the National Federation of the Blind. We thank
you for being patient as we determine where the needs exist and work to
match resources with the people that need help. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we will rebuild and transform our dreams into
reality.

Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act:
The final regulation for the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act went into
effect today. The National Federation of the Blind identified this
problem, created a partnership with the Alliance of Automobile
Manufacturers, got the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to
study the issue, wrote the legislation, persuaded the US Congress to
pass it, and the president to sign it into law. The final regulation was
issued on December 14, 2016, with an effective date of February 13,
2017. The effective date was then delayed to March 21, then to May 22,
then to June 5, and then to today, September 5, 2017. At each step of
the way, the National Federation of the Blind remained steadfast,
resolute, determined, and passionate. It is a result of our collective
efforts that we have made the roads safer for all Americans, especially
blind Americans. The final regulation covers all four-wheeled
hybrid-electric passenger vehicles under ten thousand pounds. The
regulation prohibits a pause switch, manufacturer supplied selectable
sounds, and any tampering with the device. In general, the vehicle must
emit a sound of at least 44 decibels when stationary (and when the
shifter is not in "Park"), 48 decibels when moving in reverse, and
between 51 and 62 decibels dependent upon forward driving speed. The
rule requires all hybrid-electric vehicles produced on or after
September 1, 2019 to be compliant. To read the regulation in its
entirety
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/14/2016-28804/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-minimum-sound-requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles>,
please visit the Federal Register.

Social Security Administration Lawsuit:
Last week the National Federation of the Blind and two blind individuals
who receive Social Security benefits filed a federal lawsuit against the
Social Security Administration (SSA) for its failure to make its Visitor
Intake Processing touchscreen kiosks accessible to its blind visitors.
As a result, blind patrons are unable to check in independently at their
local SSA field offices, and are forced to divulge private information,
such as their social security numbers, to SSA staff or other sighted
third parties to assist them. In addition, they cannot read the printed
ticket generated by the kiosks, which contains their check-in number, so
they must ask someone else to read the number or risk losing their
appointment.

    Reminders:

Conference Call Tonight:
There is a conference call scheduled tonight for all affiliate
presidents to discuss hosting screenings of /Do You Dream in Color/
during Meet the Blind Month. The call-in information is 877-394-5901 and
the access code is 4582115.

NFB.org Homepage:
We are updating the nfb.org homepage on a regular basis and adding
important events such as state conventions and training opportunities. I
encourage everyone to bookmark nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>and check it
often. Even better, make it the default homepage on your web browser. If
you need assistance, please email
communicationsteam at nfb.org<mailto:communicationsteam at nfb.org>.

    Did You Know?

Opportunities to Fundraise and Give through Thrivent:
Are you a member of Thrivent Financial<https://www.thrivent.com/>? There
are multiple ways for members to give back to the National Federation of
the Blind.
Thrivent’s Choice Dollars donations can help NFB - Are you a member of
Thrivent Financial and eligible to direct Choice Dollars? With Thrivent
Choice, you can recommend where some of Thrivent Financial's charitable
outreach funds go. Choice Dollars funds can make a world of difference
to the NFB. Directing Choice Dollars is easy. Simply go to Thrivent
Choice<https://www.thrivent.com/making-a-difference/living-generously/thrivent-choice/>to
learn more and find program terms and conditions, or contact Nathan
Beattie, Financial Associate, at (515) 276-1527, extension 228, or
nathan.beattie at thrivent.com<mailto:nathan.beattie at thrivent.com>.

Thrivent’s Action Team Program - Thrivent’s Action Team program is a
volunteer program for Thrivent members to lead a one-time fundraiser,
service activity, or educational event with the help of their family and
friends. Thrivent will provide resources to help promote the event,
promotional items (including Thrivent t-shirts) and a Community Impact
Card with $250 of seed money. To learn more and apply, visit Thrivent
Action
Team<https://www.thrivent.com/making-a-difference/living-generously/thrivent-action-teams/>,
or contact Nathan Beattie, Financial Associate, at (515) 276-1527,
extension 228, or
nathan.beattie at thrivent.com<mailto:nathan.beattie at thrivent.com>.

    Dates to Keep in Mind:

  * Fall Conventions <https://nfb.org/state-conventions>
  * September 12-17, 2017: BLAST
    <http://blindmerchants.org/blast-2017/>, Nashville, Tennessee
  * November 1, 2017: 2018 Scholarship Application
    <http://nfb.org/scholarships> period begins
  * November 6-8, 2017: Dare to Be Remarkable Conference
    <https://nfb.org/dare-be-remarkable-call-presentations>, Baltimore,
    Maryland
  * January 29, 2018: Great Gathering In, Washington, District of Columbia

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org
<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

National Federation of the Blind <https://nfb.org/>

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind> Twitter
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice> Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.